Saturday, March 31, 2007
Down Memory Lane: Bimota YB11
Some time ago, we’d written about ‘The Greatest 11s,’ where we spoke about the Suzuki GSX-R1100 and the Kawasaki ZZR1100. Well, we forgot to include one. The Bimota YB11, which, despite the 11 in its name, doesn’t have an 1100cc engine.
Launched in the late-1990s, the Bimota YB11 was fitted with a DOHC, 20-valve, 1000cc inline-four, taken from the mighty Yamaha YZF1000 Thunderace. This engine was tweaked by Bimota, and made 148 horsepower at 10,200rpm. Top speed was in the region of 275km/h.
The YB11 was beautifully styled, had racebike-extreme ergonomics, stiff Paioli suspension, Brembo brakes and a significant front-end weight bias. Dry weight was 183kg. Brand-new, the bike cost US$30,000 which was quite a bit for the late-1990s (of course, it’s quite a bit even now…!), but with its expensive, high-spec components, powerful engine, superb handling and gorgeous styling, perhaps the price was justified. At least for rich Bimota enthusiasts…
- ► 2016 (135)
- ► 2015 (89)
- ► 2014 (113)
- ► 2013 (157)
- ► 2012 (284)
- ► 2011 (182)
- ► 2010 (196)
- ► 2009 (345)
- ► 2008 (479)
- Gibbs Quadski: Baywatch…
- Street Triple: Triumph's new naked coming soon
- Down Memory Lane: Bimota YB11
- Track Riding for Newbies – Ron Haslam tells you ho...
- V-Roehr 1130: All-American superbike coming soon
- Learning to live without bikes (just for a day…)
- Acabion GTBO 70: Mad Max lives!
- July 18: The 2007 Ride To Work Day
- BMW may get into a JV with Husqvarna!
- MBI 2007 Awards announced
- Ilmor MotoGP team shuts shop
- Suzuki announce limited edition 100th IoM TT GSX-R...
- DVD Watch: The World's Fastest Motorcycle
- Ducati Hypermotard inches closer to going into pro...
- Buell to do trackdays, enter off-road bikes market...
- The V-Rex: Sometimes, dreams do come true...
- MV Agusta F4 312R: The fastest production motorcyc...
- 2007 Repsol-replica Honda Fireblade CBR1000RR
- The saga of the HRC Honda NSR500
- American Borders: A Motorcycle Misadventures Journ...
- Ninja Nation: 1988 Kawasaki ZX-10 vs 2004 Kawasaki...
- Valentino Rossi: “Capirossi has impressed me many ...
- MotoGP '07: All play, no work!
- Sizzler: 2007 Rizla Suzuki GSX-R1000
- Dainese’s RDRS data-logging system for motorcyclis...
- ▼ March (25)
2WD AC Schnitzer AJS Akrapovic all-wheel-drive Alpinestars AMG Aprilia Ariel Audi Avinton Bajaj Barry Sheene Benelli Bianchi Bimota BMW Bosch Brammo Brembo Britten BSA Buell Bultaco Cagiva Campagna Can-Am Carver Casey Stoner Caterham Chinese bikes Classics Concept Bike Confederate CRandS Custom-built Dainese Derbi Diesel Ducati Eddie Lawson EICMA 2008 EICMA 2009 EICMA 2012 EICMA 2013 EICMA 2014 EICMA 2015 EICMA 2016 Electric Ferrari Fischer flying machines Freddie Spencer Giacomo Agostini Gilera Harley-Davidson Helmets Henderson Hero Motocorp Hesketh Honda Horex Husqvarna Hybrid Hyosung Ilmor Indian Intermot 2012 Intermot 2014 Intermot 2016 Interviews Isle of Man TT Jawa Jay Leno Jeremy Burgess Kawasaki Kevin Schwantz KTM Lamborghini Lambretta Laverda Lazareth Lotus Mahindra Malaguti Markus Hofmann McLaren Mercedes-Benz Mick Doohan Midual Millepercento Mission Motors Mondial Morbidelli Morgan Moriwaki Moto Guzzi Moto Morini Moto2 Moto3 MotoCzysz MotoGP MotoGP-2007 MotoGP-2008 MotoGP-2009 MotoGP-2010 Motorcycle Design Motus MTT MV Agusta MZ News Nissan Norton NSU Peraves Petronas Peugeot Photography Piaggio Porsche Quad Renard Renault Riding Impressions Roehr Ronax Ronin Rotary Royal Enfield Scooters Segway Shootouts Short Films Skills Specials stunt riding Supercharged Suter Suzuki Toyota Travel trike Triumph Turbo TVS Two-stroke Ural V10 V12 V4 V6 V8 Valentino Rossi Velocette Vespa Victory Vincent Volkswagen Voxan Vyrus Wakan Wayne Gardner Wayne Rainey Wunderlich Yamaha Yoshimura Zagato