Tuesday, December 02, 2008
APC launches the airbag helmet for motorcyclists
According to the company, a small, simple control box fitted on the motorcycle receives and processes data, which allows it to determine when a collision may be imminent. When this ‘black box’ figures out that the rider is about to crash, it relays a signal which inflates the crash helmet’s airbag in less than 15/100th of a second, increasing safety levels for the rider.
There are no cables or any other physical elements linking the rider to the bike – the black box works on its own, in a manner that’s completely unobtrusive. And when it inflates, the airbag provides protection to the rider’s neck and back, reducing the chances of severe injury. In the event of a crash, the airbag stabilises the neck and protects the upper back, the benefits of which are obvious.
The APC helmet airbag is, apparently, only available in Spain right now, so we do hope it’ll also go on sale elsewhere in the world over the next few months. For more details on the company and the airbag helmet, visit the APC website here
Will SHARP lead to better, safer helmets for motorcyclists?
Rider alert: Findings of the MAIDS report
One the pace: Read before you ride!
Better riding: 20 tips from the pros
Track riding for newbies: Tips from Ron Haslam
Dainese, AGV launch Agostini-replica helmet...
Hear up: Are you making too much noise?
Street survival: 50 tips from Motorcycle Cruiser magazine
Nanotechnology: Smart Helmets to the rescue...
- ► 2016 (135)
- ► 2015 (89)
- ► 2014 (113)
- ► 2013 (157)
- ► 2012 (284)
- ► 2011 (182)
- ► 2010 (196)
- ► 2009 (345)
- CIV: The BMW-powered, Lotus-designed snow-scooter ...
- Diesel-powered Track T800 CDI gets 2WD, CVT
- Shock, horror: Kawasaki to pull out of MotoGP!
- Harley-Davidson to revive Cagiva, resurrect the Ra...
- Piaggio gets €150 million loan from EIB, will deve...
- Memorable: The Bimota SB2
- The BMW MeGa 1 Project
- 2009 Yamaha R1 vs early-1990s Yamaha 500cc GP race...
- RetroSBK’s GSX-R1000-based Yoshimura Suzuki GS1000...
- Honda in tie-up with GS Yuasa Corporation, will be...
- The Gurney Alligator Instigator: Make it snappy!
- Classic: The 1970s Laverda 750SF
- Riding impression: Regis Laconi’s WSBK Kawasaki ZX...
- Mad Kaw: Turbo ZX-10R from Japan
- In conversation with Leslie Porterfield, the faste...
- Riding impression: Moto Guzzi Millepercento BB1
- Moto2: 600cc four-stroke class regulations announc...
- Motorcycle Buyers: The ones that got away
- Happy Birthday: Angelina to give a Ducati Monster ...
- Riding impression: Carlos Checa’s WSBK Honda CBR10...
- MTT Turbine Streetfighter: The 420 horsepower, US$...
- Memorable: Graeme Crosby and his bikes…
- Ferrari motorcycle coming up for sale, asking pric...
- Massimo Tamburini to retire from MV Agusta
- Funny Front: Tier Motorsports’ Yamaha R1 concept
- Eva Håkansson’s ElectroCat. Because petrol is ‘so ...
- APC launches the airbag helmet for motorcyclists
- Naked muscle: The Kawabusa II
- Riding Noriyuki Haga’s Yamaha YZF-R1…
- ▼ December (29)
- ► 2007 (430)
2WD AC Schnitzer AJS Akrapovic all-wheel-drive Alpinestars AMG Aprilia Ariel Audi Avinton Bajaj Barry Sheene Benelli Bianchi Bimota BMW Bosch Brammo Brembo Britten BSA Buell Bultaco Cagiva Campagna Can-Am Carver Casey Stoner Caterham Chinese bikes Classics Concept Bike Confederate CRandS Custom-built Dainese Derbi Diesel Ducati Eddie Lawson EICMA 2008 EICMA 2009 EICMA 2012 EICMA 2013 EICMA 2014 EICMA 2015 EICMA 2016 Electric Ferrari Fischer flying machines Freddie Spencer Giacomo Agostini Gilera Harley-Davidson Helmets Henderson Hero Motocorp Hesketh Honda Horex Husqvarna Hybrid Hyosung Ilmor Indian Intermot 2012 Intermot 2014 Intermot 2016 Interviews Isle of Man TT Jawa Jay Leno Jeremy Burgess Kawasaki Kevin Schwantz KTM Lamborghini Lambretta Laverda Lazareth Lotus Mahindra Malaguti Markus Hofmann McLaren Mercedes-Benz Mick Doohan Midual Millepercento Mission Motors Mondial Morbidelli Morgan Moriwaki Moto Guzzi Moto Morini Moto2 Moto3 MotoCzysz MotoGP MotoGP-2007 MotoGP-2008 MotoGP-2009 MotoGP-2010 Motorcycle Design Motus MTT MV Agusta MZ News Nissan Norton NSU Peraves Petronas Peugeot Photography Piaggio Porsche Quad Renard Renault Riding Impressions Roehr Ronax Ronin Rotary Royal Enfield Scooters Segway Shootouts Short Films Skills Specials stunt riding Supercharged Suter Suzuki Toyota Travel trike Triumph Turbo TVS Two-stroke Ural V10 V12 V4 V6 V8 Valentino Rossi Velocette Vespa Victory Vincent Volkswagen Voxan Vyrus Wakan Wayne Gardner Wayne Rainey Wunderlich Yamaha Yoshimura Zagato