Tuesday, January 06, 2009
Repsol KTM 690 Rally: What lies beneath…
With Marc Coma and other KTM riders doing so well – and consistently so over the years – at the Dakar Rally, you’d sometimes wonder what is it about their machines that keeps them winning. Those riders’ grit, determination and talent is, of course, unquestionable, but the bike must be pretty good too, eh?
Taking a quick look at KTM’s Dakar-winning 690 Rally machine, it’s fitted with the company’s 654cc single-cylinder liquid-cooled LC4 engine. In production trim, this engine makes 65bhp, but here it’s been tuned to produce 70bhp at 7,500rpm and 70Nm of torque at 6,000 revs. The engine, which is mated to a six-speed gearbox, features a Keihin FCR 41 carburetor – no fuel-injection here!
The wet, multi-disc clutch is hydraulically operated, the chassis is made of tubular chromium-molybdenum alloy and WP suspension components are used at both ends. At front, the WP-USD 52 MA fork has 300mm of travel, the rear monoshock has 310mm of travel, and both ends are fully adjustable.
The Repsol KTM 690 Rally has to stop as hard as it goes, so it’s fitted with a 300mm disc brake at front, and a 220mm disc at the back. The front wheel is a 21-incher while the rear hoop measures 18-inches. The bike rides on 90/90-21 (front) and 140/90-18 (rear) off-road rubber. Ground clearance is 320mm – handy when you are travelling across 6,000km of rough terrain in Africa…
The 690 Rally carries about 36 litres of fuel, weighs 162 kilos and in the right hands, wins the toughest off-road rally-raids in the world. Unfortunately enough, you can’t buy one just yet. While KTM have various 690-series bikes in their line-up, they’re yet to do a full-blown 690 Adventure. A Repsol-replica Marc Coma special edition KTM 690 Adventure for the street? Later this year, perhaps!
A supercharged KTM RC8 drag-racer...
2009 KTM 1190 RC8 R unleashed...
Face-off: KTM RC8 takes on the BMW HP2 Sport!
NitroDuke: The world's fastest KTM...
KTM 125cc GP racer vs Suzuki GSX-R1000...
Face-off: KTM RC8 vs Ducati 1098...
Tiff Needell tests the KTM X-Bow...
- ► 2016 (135)
- ► 2015 (89)
- ► 2014 (113)
- ► 2013 (157)
- ► 2012 (284)
- ► 2011 (182)
- ► 2010 (196)
- Blastolene go mad with supercharged V8 Hemi-powere...
- All-new dual-purpose Ducati for 2010?
- The X Factor: 2009 Buell Lightning CityX XB9SX
- And now, a Ferrari-Hayabusa trike!
- Xenophya Design: In conversation with Mark Wells a...
- 1975 Kawasaki Z900-based dirt-tracker special
- Christini Technologies unveils AWD SuperMoto
- 2009 MotoGP: Ilmor to work on privateer Kawasaki Z...
- 2009 Yamaha R1 riding impressions
- Gordon Murray: “The MV Agusta F4 is so slow!”
- Kevin Schwantz on what he teaches, MotoGP, and whe...
- MotoGP: Vittoriano Guareschi is impressed with the...
- Trillium Muir, the fastest woman in the world…
- 2009 Yamaha XJ6 riding impression
- Naked Truth: BMW K1300R vs Buell 1125CR
- A Yamaha R1 that's not scared of the Ducati 1098S
- Back on track: The Campagna T-Rex 1400R
- Repsol KTM 690 Rally: What lies beneath…
- BMW K1300S riding impression
- Hawk: Honda RC51-powered trike concept
- Barry Sheene tribute Suzuki GSX-R750
- Custom cool: Tamworth Yamaha FZ1
- ▼ January (22)
- ► 2008 (479)
- ► 2007 (430)
2WD AC Schnitzer AJS Akrapovic all-wheel-drive Alpinestars AMG Aprilia Ariel Audi Avinton Bajaj Barry Sheene Benelli Bianchi Bimota BMW Bosch Brammo Brembo Britten BSA Buell Bultaco Cagiva Campagna Can-Am Carver Casey Stoner Caterham Chinese bikes Classics Concept Bike Confederate CRandS Custom-built Dainese Derbi Diesel Ducati Eddie Lawson EICMA 2008 EICMA 2009 EICMA 2012 EICMA 2013 EICMA 2014 EICMA 2015 EICMA 2016 Electric Ferrari Fischer flying machines Freddie Spencer Giacomo Agostini Gilera Harley-Davidson Helmets Henderson Hero Motocorp Hesketh Honda Horex Husqvarna Hybrid Hyosung Ilmor Indian Intermot 2012 Intermot 2014 Intermot 2016 Interviews Isle of Man TT Jawa Jay Leno Jeremy Burgess Kawasaki Kevin Schwantz KTM Lamborghini Lambretta Laverda Lazareth Lotus Mahindra Malaguti Markus Hofmann McLaren Mercedes-Benz Mick Doohan Midual Millepercento Mission Motors Mondial Morbidelli Morgan Moriwaki Moto Guzzi Moto Morini Moto2 Moto3 MotoCzysz MotoGP MotoGP-2007 MotoGP-2008 MotoGP-2009 MotoGP-2010 Motorcycle Design Motus MTT MV Agusta MZ News Nissan Norton NSU Peraves Petronas Peugeot Photography Piaggio Porsche Quad Renard Renault Riding Impressions Roehr Ronax Ronin Rotary Royal Enfield Scooters Segway Shootouts Short Films Skills Specials stunt riding Supercharged Suter Suzuki Toyota Travel trike Triumph Turbo TVS Two-stroke Ural V10 V12 V4 V6 V8 Valentino Rossi Velocette Vespa Victory Vincent Volkswagen Voxan Vyrus Wakan Wayne Gardner Wayne Rainey Wunderlich Yamaha Yoshimura Zagato