Wednesday, February 04, 2009
Fiat Yamaha urge FIM to make MotoGP less expensive
Daniele Romagnoli and Davide Brivio, team managers at Fiat Yamaha, have urged the FIM to take decisive actions that would bring about a reduction in MotoGP costs.
According to Romagnoli, team manager for Jorge Lorenzo, the FIM should reduce winter testing and/or schedule testing to coincide with the last GP of the season, which would also reduce costs (since bikes and equipment would not have to be ferried from one country to another).
Romagnoli also suggests a drastic reduction in the rev limit for MotoGP engines, which would enhance their longevity. This, according to him, would be crucial in bringing down costs because the engine is the most expensive part of a MotoGP bike in terms of the cost of components as well as research and development costs.
Reducing the rev limit to 16,000rpm would, according to Romagnoli, allow manufacturers to use the same engine in two or perhaps even three races. It would also allow a reduction in manufacturing costs since it would be possible to make these engines with relatively less expensive materials.
The Fiat Yamaha managers recommend the usage of just one ECU per bike and a drastic reduction in the usage of complex, expensive sensors such as inertial platforms and GPS. They recommend going back to simpler, less expensive electronics – the kind that were being used five years ago. And finally, they suggest that steel (rather than carbon) brakes be used on MotoGP bikes, which would help cut costs further.
‘I don't think these changes would make the championship any less spectacular. As a matter of fact, it could lead to even have more surprises,’ says Romagnoli.
Rossi: "Tyre technology, electronics hurt overtaking in MotoGP..."
Kevin Schwantz, on what he teaches these days...
Trillium Muir, the fastest woman in the world on two wheels...
Barry Sheene tribute GSX-R750...
2009 Yamaha YZF R1 vs early-1990s Yamaha 500cc GP bikes...
Riding impression: Troy Bayliss' WSBK Ducati racebike...
Cool concept: The BMW Lo-Rider...
Track Daze: KTM X-Bow gets hardcore...
The world's fastest electric motorcycle is coming out in 2010...
- ► 2016 (135)
- ► 2015 (89)
- ► 2014 (113)
- ► 2013 (157)
- ► 2012 (284)
- ► 2011 (182)
- ► 2010 (196)
- MotoGP: The Kawasaki farce continues
- Toyoshi Nishida: “We wanted to make the new R1 exc...
- Ducati GT1000 riding impression
- Max Biaggi, Shinya Nakano on the Aprilia RSV4
- BMW F800R to hit showrooms by May this year
- 2009 BRP Can-Am Spyder SE5
- Aprilia RSV1000: The heat is on!
- KTM 990 SMT riding impression
- 2009 Yamaha R1 vs Honda Fireblade
- World Superbikes: BMW S1000RR vs Aprilia RSV4
- 2009 Piaggio MP3 HyS hybrid inches closer to produ...
- Happy Birthday: Valentino 'The Doctor' Rossi turns...
- Kawasaki introduces ECO2Logic in Europe
- In conversation with Damien Basset
- Herve Poncharal supports Moto2, Tech3 to build Mot...
- KTM RC8 R riding impression
- Nicky Hayden: ‘Sticking one to Pedrosa would put a...
- Speedymax's Kawasaki ZX-9R-based streetfighter
- Desmo Duo: Ducati 851 and Ducati 1198S
- KTM out first with KERS
- Tyre tech, electronics hurt overtaking in MotoGP, ...
- Fiat Yamaha urge FIM to make MotoGP less expensive...
- BQR-Honda unveils the first Moto2 bike
- Picture perfect: The BMW S1000RR
- 2009 Yamaha YZR M1 and Valentino Rossi unveiled......
- Face-off: Moto Morini Granpasso vs BMW R1200GS
- ▼ February (26)
- ► 2008 (479)
- ► 2007 (430)
2WD AC Schnitzer AJS Akrapovic all-wheel-drive Alpinestars AMG Aprilia Ariel Audi Avinton Bajaj Barry Sheene Benelli Bianchi Bimota BMW Bosch Brammo Brembo Britten BSA Buell Bultaco Cagiva Campagna Can-Am Carver Casey Stoner Caterham Chinese bikes Classics Concept Bike Confederate CRandS Custom-built Dainese Derbi Diesel Ducati Eddie Lawson EICMA 2008 EICMA 2009 EICMA 2012 EICMA 2013 EICMA 2014 EICMA 2015 EICMA 2016 Electric Ferrari Fischer flying machines Freddie Spencer Giacomo Agostini Gilera Harley-Davidson Helmets Henderson Hero Motocorp Hesketh Honda Horex Husqvarna Hybrid Hyosung Ilmor Indian Intermot 2012 Intermot 2014 Intermot 2016 Interviews Isle of Man TT Jawa Jay Leno Jeremy Burgess Kawasaki Kevin Schwantz KTM Lamborghini Lambretta Laverda Lazareth Lotus Mahindra Malaguti Markus Hofmann McLaren Mercedes-Benz Mick Doohan Midual Millepercento Mission Motors Mondial Morbidelli Morgan Moriwaki Moto Guzzi Moto Morini Moto2 Moto3 MotoCzysz MotoGP MotoGP-2007 MotoGP-2008 MotoGP-2009 MotoGP-2010 Motorcycle Design Motus MTT MV Agusta MZ News Nissan Norton NSU Peraves Petronas Peugeot Photography Piaggio Porsche Quad Renard Renault Riding Impressions Roehr Ronax Ronin Rotary Royal Enfield Scooters Segway Shootouts Short Films Skills Specials stunt riding Supercharged Suter Suzuki Toyota Travel trike Triumph Turbo TVS Two-stroke Ural V10 V12 V4 V6 V8 Valentino Rossi Velocette Vespa Victory Vincent Volkswagen Voxan Vyrus Wakan Wayne Gardner Wayne Rainey Wunderlich Yamaha Yoshimura Zagato