Wednesday, February 04, 2009
KTM out first with KERS
According to a report on Crash.net, Harald Bartol (who heads the KTM 125/250 GP racing team) has revealed that the Austrian company was the first to use a new, high-tech system on Tommy Koyama's racebike last year. This system – Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS) – was fitted to Koyama's bike during the 125cc GP in Valencia last year.
KERS, a system that stores energy during braking and releases it under acceleration, is all set to make its debut in Formula 1 racing this year, but going by Bartol’s revelation, KTM have already beaten the F1 guys to the punch.
Koyama only managed to finish seventh in the 2008 Valencian 125cc GP and his top speed during the race was 219.6km/h, as compared with 226.3km/h for Stefan Bradl’s Aprilia, so it isn’t of course as if KERS is some magic formula for winning races. However, KTM are putting in more development work into this system and it may soon start providing a real competitive edge to KTM’s racing bikes.
Under hard braking, KERS charges some condensers/capacitors, which then release the energy during full-throttle application. For now, the system only provides an additional 3bhp, but could soon be providing more with additional development. We hope it soon starts providing an additional 10-15bhp, so KTM can fit KERS on the 2010 RC8 R…
The biggest ever collection of 2008 MotoGP wallpaper...
Desmosedici RR: For the love of Ducati...
Suzuki B-King vs Yamaha V-Max...
Aprilia Dorsoduro vs KTM 990SM vs Ducati Hypermotard...
Bandito: Hannigan Motorsports’ Kawasaki ZX-14 sidecar rig...
Classic: Peugeot-powered DJ1200 Bol d'Or racer...
Board track racing: 160km/h on wooden tracks, no brakes...!
The Thai police shows you why you must not drink and ride...
The 240km/h electric bike: Mission One unveiled at TED2009...
- ► 2016 (135)
- ► 2015 (89)
- ► 2014 (113)
- ► 2013 (157)
- ► 2012 (284)
- ► 2011 (182)
- ► 2010 (196)
- MotoGP: The Kawasaki farce continues
- Toyoshi Nishida: “We wanted to make the new R1 exc...
- Ducati GT1000 riding impression
- Max Biaggi, Shinya Nakano on the Aprilia RSV4
- BMW F800R to hit showrooms by May this year
- 2009 BRP Can-Am Spyder SE5
- Aprilia RSV1000: The heat is on!
- KTM 990 SMT riding impression
- 2009 Yamaha R1 vs Honda Fireblade
- World Superbikes: BMW S1000RR vs Aprilia RSV4
- 2009 Piaggio MP3 HyS hybrid inches closer to produ...
- Happy Birthday: Valentino 'The Doctor' Rossi turns...
- Kawasaki introduces ECO2Logic in Europe
- In conversation with Damien Basset
- Herve Poncharal supports Moto2, Tech3 to build Mot...
- KTM RC8 R riding impression
- Nicky Hayden: ‘Sticking one to Pedrosa would put a...
- Speedymax's Kawasaki ZX-9R-based streetfighter
- Desmo Duo: Ducati 851 and Ducati 1198S
- KTM out first with KERS
- Tyre tech, electronics hurt overtaking in MotoGP, ...
- Fiat Yamaha urge FIM to make MotoGP less expensive...
- BQR-Honda unveils the first Moto2 bike
- Picture perfect: The BMW S1000RR
- 2009 Yamaha YZR M1 and Valentino Rossi unveiled......
- Face-off: Moto Morini Granpasso vs BMW R1200GS
- ▼ February (26)
- ► 2008 (479)
- ► 2007 (430)
2WD AC Schnitzer AJS Akrapovic all-wheel-drive Alpinestars AMG Aprilia Ariel Audi Avinton Bajaj Barry Sheene Benelli Bianchi Bimota BMW Bosch Brammo Brembo Britten BSA Buell Bultaco Cagiva Campagna Can-Am Carver Casey Stoner Caterham Chinese bikes Classics Concept Bike Confederate CRandS Custom-built Dainese Derbi Diesel Ducati Eddie Lawson EICMA 2008 EICMA 2009 EICMA 2012 EICMA 2013 EICMA 2014 EICMA 2015 EICMA 2016 Electric Ferrari Fischer flying machines Freddie Spencer Giacomo Agostini Gilera Harley-Davidson Helmets Henderson Hero Motocorp Hesketh Honda Horex Husqvarna Hybrid Hyosung Ilmor Indian Intermot 2012 Intermot 2014 Intermot 2016 Interviews Isle of Man TT Jawa Jay Leno Jeremy Burgess Kawasaki Kevin Schwantz KTM Lamborghini Lambretta Laverda Lazareth Lotus Mahindra Malaguti Markus Hofmann McLaren Mercedes-Benz Mick Doohan Midual Millepercento Mission Motors Mondial Morbidelli Morgan Moriwaki Moto Guzzi Moto Morini Moto2 Moto3 MotoCzysz MotoGP MotoGP-2007 MotoGP-2008 MotoGP-2009 MotoGP-2010 Motorcycle Design Motus MTT MV Agusta MZ News Nissan Norton NSU Peraves Petronas Peugeot Photography Piaggio Porsche Quad Renard Renault Riding Impressions Roehr Ronax Ronin Rotary Royal Enfield Scooters Segway Shootouts Short Films Skills Specials stunt riding Supercharged Suter Suzuki Toyota Travel trike Triumph Turbo TVS Two-stroke Ural V10 V12 V4 V6 V8 Valentino Rossi Velocette Vespa Victory Vincent Volkswagen Voxan Vyrus Wakan Wayne Gardner Wayne Rainey Wunderlich Yamaha Yoshimura Zagato