Tuesday, February 03, 2009
Picture perfect: The BMW S1000RR
BMW have released new pics of its S1000RR superbike, with model Ann Kathrin Ruhl upping the glam quotient. While bikes like the BMW K1300R, K1300S and HP2 Sport do offer a fair bit of performance, the S1000RR – the machine which BMW will be racing in World Superbikes this year – is in a different league altogether.
With its aluminium beam frame, high-spec USD fork and monoshock (both ends fully adjustable), Brembo brakes, carbonfibre bodywork and high-revving 1,000cc inline-four that makes about 200bhp at the crank, the S1000RR is more in line with Japanese litre-class superbikes. That, and perhaps even more, because the S1000RR is likely to be equipped with advanced traction control, ABS, variable length air-intake tracts and positive valve actuation of some sort, the details of which have not been revealed yet by BMW.
When the road going version of the S1000RR goes on sale – probably towards the end of this year – the bike is expected to cost around US$15,000. If BMW can stick to that kind of pricing, the 1000RR should be a lot of bike for a relatively reasonable amount of money.
With all-new bikes like the Aprilia RSV4 and the 2009 Yamaha R1 and Suzuki GSX-R1000 to beat in World Superbikes this year, BMW riders Troy Corser and Ruben Xaus are going to face an uphill battle. Still, with BMW prepared to go all out on research and development, the S1000RR’s prospects don’t look too bad at all…
- ► 2016 (135)
- ► 2015 (89)
- ► 2014 (113)
- ► 2013 (157)
- ► 2012 (284)
- ► 2011 (182)
- ► 2010 (196)
- MotoGP: The Kawasaki farce continues
- Toyoshi Nishida: “We wanted to make the new R1 exc...
- Ducati GT1000 riding impression
- Max Biaggi, Shinya Nakano on the Aprilia RSV4
- BMW F800R to hit showrooms by May this year
- 2009 BRP Can-Am Spyder SE5
- Aprilia RSV1000: The heat is on!
- KTM 990 SMT riding impression
- 2009 Yamaha R1 vs Honda Fireblade
- World Superbikes: BMW S1000RR vs Aprilia RSV4
- 2009 Piaggio MP3 HyS hybrid inches closer to produ...
- Happy Birthday: Valentino 'The Doctor' Rossi turns...
- Kawasaki introduces ECO2Logic in Europe
- In conversation with Damien Basset
- Herve Poncharal supports Moto2, Tech3 to build Mot...
- KTM RC8 R riding impression
- Nicky Hayden: ‘Sticking one to Pedrosa would put a...
- Speedymax's Kawasaki ZX-9R-based streetfighter
- Desmo Duo: Ducati 851 and Ducati 1198S
- KTM out first with KERS
- Tyre tech, electronics hurt overtaking in MotoGP, ...
- Fiat Yamaha urge FIM to make MotoGP less expensive...
- BQR-Honda unveils the first Moto2 bike
- Picture perfect: The BMW S1000RR
- 2009 Yamaha YZR M1 and Valentino Rossi unveiled......
- Face-off: Moto Morini Granpasso vs BMW R1200GS
- ▼ February (26)
- ► 2008 (479)
- ► 2007 (430)
2WD AC Schnitzer AJS Akrapovic all-wheel-drive Alpinestars AMG Aprilia Ariel Audi Avinton Bajaj Barry Sheene Benelli Bianchi Bimota BMW Bosch Brammo Brembo Britten BSA Buell Bultaco Cagiva Campagna Can-Am Carver Casey Stoner Caterham Chinese bikes Classics Concept Bike Confederate CRandS Custom-built Dainese Derbi Diesel Ducati Eddie Lawson EICMA 2008 EICMA 2009 EICMA 2012 EICMA 2013 EICMA 2014 EICMA 2015 EICMA 2016 Electric Ferrari Fischer flying machines Freddie Spencer Giacomo Agostini Gilera Harley-Davidson Helmets Henderson Hero Motocorp Hesketh Honda Horex Husqvarna Hybrid Hyosung Ilmor Indian Intermot 2012 Intermot 2014 Intermot 2016 Interviews Isle of Man TT Jawa Jay Leno Jeremy Burgess Kawasaki Kevin Schwantz KTM Lamborghini Lambretta Laverda Lazareth Lotus Mahindra Malaguti Markus Hofmann McLaren Mercedes-Benz Mick Doohan Midual Millepercento Mission Motors Mondial Morbidelli Morgan Moriwaki Moto Guzzi Moto Morini Moto2 Moto3 MotoCzysz MotoGP MotoGP-2007 MotoGP-2008 MotoGP-2009 MotoGP-2010 Motorcycle Design Motus MTT MV Agusta MZ News Nissan Norton NSU Peraves Petronas Peugeot Photography Piaggio Porsche Quad Renard Renault Riding Impressions Roehr Ronax Ronin Rotary Royal Enfield Scooters Segway Shootouts Short Films Skills Specials stunt riding Supercharged Suter Suzuki Toyota Travel trike Triumph Turbo TVS Two-stroke Ural V10 V12 V4 V6 V8 Valentino Rossi Velocette Vespa Victory Vincent Volkswagen Voxan Vyrus Wakan Wayne Gardner Wayne Rainey Wunderlich Yamaha Yoshimura Zagato