Thursday, March 05, 2009
AIRPod: MDI unveils air-engined trike
We had earlier written about Moteur Development International’s (MDI) air-powered engines here and we wondered if these would ever find use on a motorcycle. Well, it’s happened already – MDI have unveiled the AIRPod at the ongoing Geneva Motor Show and this zero-emissions three-wheeler is fitted with one of the company’s air engines!
Indeed, the MDI AIRPod – a 220kg three-wheeler that can seat two people – runs on compressed air. With the air engine making only about 5.5bhp, top speed is 45km/h, though the little trike has a range of 200km on one full tank of air. Also, the AIRPod's carbonfibre air tank can be topped up with compressed air in just 90 seconds. No petrol, no biofuel, no batteries, no electricity – the AIRPod’s engine runs on compressed air and nothing else.
As you would expect, this technology is not ready to hit the streets just yet, though MDI believes that that would be made easily possible with the co-operation of a major two-wheeler and/or four-wheeler manufacturer. Apart from engines that run only on compressed air, MDI have also developed an air-fuel hybrid system, which uses a combination of compressed air and regular petrol. Prototypes fitted with this hybrid system can travel up to 100km in air-only, zero emissions mode, and have an overall range of up to 900km.
Air engines do seem to be a bit of a pipe dream, though the guys at MDI strongly believe that their engines are more than just so much hot air. Ah, well, if we can have lithium-ion batteries and hydrogen fuel cells powering tomorrow’s motorcycles, maybe the air engine also deserves a chance to blow off some steam after all…
- ► 2016 (135)
- ► 2015 (89)
- ► 2014 (113)
- ► 2013 (157)
- ► 2012 (284)
- ► 2011 (182)
- ► 2010 (196)
- CAF-E: Tim Cameron’s supercharged hybrid motorcycl...
- MotoGP: Tech3 Yamaha, Monster Energy come together...
- MotoGP: LCR Honda, Playboy get together for 2009
- 2009 Suzuki GSX-R1000: A few opinions…
- MZ may be revived. Again
- 2009 Ural Gear-Up Sahara: For real men (and women)...
- Ducati Streetfighter S to hit US dealerships in Ma...
- A3W Motiv: Julien Rondino’s three-wheeled concept ...
- 2WD on sportsbikes: Is there more to come?
- Hub-centre steering on custom-built classic cafe-r...
- More pics: 2009 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic, Griso ...
- Qianjiang Motor to invest another 20 million euros...
- EV-0 RR: Sexing-up the battery-powered racebike
- 2009 Kawasaki ZX-6R riding impression
- Jorge Lorenzo speaks about the 2009 Yamaha YZF-R1
- Just how fast are those WSBK bikes?
- Husqvarna gets new manufacturing, R&D facility in ...
- Eight Sleight: Standbike V8 concept
- Red Alert: Ducati 1098R vs Desmosedici RR
- Ready to race: Ducati 1098R vs BSB-spec Ducati 109...
- Audi Shark Hovercraft: If only this were a trike.....
- Shootout: ZX-6R vs R6 vs CBR600RR vs GSX-R600 vs D...
- 2009 Suzuki GSX-R1000 first ride
- AIRPod: MDI unveils air-engined trike
- MV Agusta F4 sidecar rig
- Messerschmitt KR200: The cabin scooter, from the s...
- ENV: The hydrogen motorcycle cometh?
- ▼ March (27)
- ► 2008 (479)
- ► 2007 (430)
2WD AC Schnitzer AJS Akrapovic all-wheel-drive Alpinestars AMG Aprilia Ariel Audi Avinton Bajaj Barry Sheene Benelli Bianchi Bimota BMW Bosch Brammo Brembo Britten BSA Buell Bultaco Cagiva Campagna Can-Am Carver Casey Stoner Caterham Chinese bikes Classics Concept Bike Confederate CRandS Custom-built Dainese Derbi Diesel Ducati Eddie Lawson EICMA 2008 EICMA 2009 EICMA 2012 EICMA 2013 EICMA 2014 EICMA 2015 EICMA 2016 Electric Ferrari Fischer flying machines Freddie Spencer Giacomo Agostini Gilera Harley-Davidson Helmets Henderson Hero Motocorp Hesketh Honda Horex Husqvarna Hybrid Hyosung Ilmor Indian Intermot 2012 Intermot 2014 Intermot 2016 Interviews Isle of Man TT Jawa Jay Leno Jeremy Burgess Kawasaki Kevin Schwantz KTM Lamborghini Lambretta Laverda Lazareth Lotus Mahindra Malaguti Markus Hofmann McLaren Mercedes-Benz Mick Doohan Midual Millepercento Mission Motors Mondial Morbidelli Morgan Moriwaki Moto Guzzi Moto Morini Moto2 Moto3 MotoCzysz MotoGP MotoGP-2007 MotoGP-2008 MotoGP-2009 MotoGP-2010 Motorcycle Design Motus MTT MV Agusta MZ News Nissan Norton NSU Peraves Petronas Peugeot Photography Piaggio Porsche Quad Renard Renault Riding Impressions Roehr Ronax Ronin Rotary Royal Enfield Scooters Segway Shootouts Short Films Skills Specials stunt riding Supercharged Suter Suzuki Toyota Travel trike Triumph Turbo TVS Two-stroke Ural V10 V12 V4 V6 V8 Valentino Rossi Velocette Vespa Victory Vincent Volkswagen Voxan Vyrus Wakan Wayne Gardner Wayne Rainey Wunderlich Yamaha Yoshimura Zagato