Tuesday, March 17, 2009
EV-0 RR: Sexing-up the battery-powered racebike
Why don’t most of us get all fired up about electric bikes? Umm... probably because almost all battery-powered electric bike contraptions looks a bit… dweeb-ish. Unlike blenders, mixers, washing machines or other similar appliances, motorcycles have to be about more than just the utility factor – they also have to get the blood racing in our veins, they have to make our hearts beat faster.
Right now, electric bikes need to be sexed-up a bit and that’s exactly what the UK-based Xenophya are trying to do with the EV-0 RR, which they’ve designed for Evo Design Solutions Ltd. The bike will be raced at the first Time Trials Xtreme Grand Prix (TTXGP) at the Isle of Man, on the 12th of June this year. (More details here)
According to Mark Wells, Senior Partner at Xenophya Design, their brief was to create evocative and exciting images which would get sponsors to buy into the concept. ‘The images represent how the race bike might look, although it is still in development and as with all race bikes it will evolve considerably during the design process, but based on the positive feedback so far I think we have managed to fulfil our brief,’ he says.
‘We really feel the trick with zero emissions vehicles, at this stage in their development, is to give motorcyclists (and petrolheads in general) what they know, and more importantly, love. This is why the illustrations we have made for the EV-0RR are very ‘MotoGP’ in proportion and stance. Everything from the General Motors EV1 in the 90s, to the Prius and the Seymour Powell ENV Hydro bike and even the Mission One TTXGP entry, are so desperately trying to communicate their innovation and ‘electricness’ through semantics,’ says Mark.
‘I don’t look at a bike and get turned on or off by the measurement of g/km of carbon dioxide are emitted, I really don’t care. I love two-strokes for the way they only deliver power in a small powerband. Equally I love big inline-fours because of the ‘point and squirt, world goes backwards’ experience. I get excited by bikes; that’s my passion, so give me a bike. If that bike has a torque curve like a table top (as an electric motor will) then I’m interested in it irrelevant of whether it runs on fresh air or by burning endangered tree frogs from the Amazon…,’ he adds.
The EV-0 RR features a monocoque chassis, single-sided front and rear suspension and twin electric motors. We do think the bike looks good and it could actually be quite fast as well. Will it find a place next to the Ducati 1198S, Desmosedici RR, MV Agusta F4 CC and 2009 Yamaha R1 in our dream garage? Er… to be honest, no. What in the world would we ever do without all that noise that comes out from those Yoshimura, Akrapovic and Racefit cans…
- ► 2016 (135)
- ► 2015 (89)
- ► 2014 (113)
- ► 2013 (157)
- ► 2012 (284)
- ► 2011 (182)
- ► 2010 (196)
- CAF-E: Tim Cameron’s supercharged hybrid motorcycl...
- MotoGP: Tech3 Yamaha, Monster Energy come together...
- MotoGP: LCR Honda, Playboy get together for 2009
- 2009 Suzuki GSX-R1000: A few opinions…
- MZ may be revived. Again
- 2009 Ural Gear-Up Sahara: For real men (and women)...
- Ducati Streetfighter S to hit US dealerships in Ma...
- A3W Motiv: Julien Rondino’s three-wheeled concept ...
- 2WD on sportsbikes: Is there more to come?
- Hub-centre steering on custom-built classic cafe-r...
- More pics: 2009 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic, Griso ...
- Qianjiang Motor to invest another 20 million euros...
- EV-0 RR: Sexing-up the battery-powered racebike
- 2009 Kawasaki ZX-6R riding impression
- Jorge Lorenzo speaks about the 2009 Yamaha YZF-R1
- Just how fast are those WSBK bikes?
- Husqvarna gets new manufacturing, R&D facility in ...
- Eight Sleight: Standbike V8 concept
- Red Alert: Ducati 1098R vs Desmosedici RR
- Ready to race: Ducati 1098R vs BSB-spec Ducati 109...
- Audi Shark Hovercraft: If only this were a trike.....
- Shootout: ZX-6R vs R6 vs CBR600RR vs GSX-R600 vs D...
- 2009 Suzuki GSX-R1000 first ride
- AIRPod: MDI unveils air-engined trike
- MV Agusta F4 sidecar rig
- Messerschmitt KR200: The cabin scooter, from the s...
- ENV: The hydrogen motorcycle cometh?
- ▼ March (27)
- ► 2008 (479)
- ► 2007 (430)
2WD AC Schnitzer AJS Akrapovic all-wheel-drive Alpinestars AMG Aprilia Ariel Audi Avinton Bajaj Barry Sheene Benelli Bianchi Bimota BMW Bosch Brammo Brembo Britten BSA Buell Bultaco Cagiva Campagna Can-Am Carver Casey Stoner Caterham Chinese bikes Classics Concept Bike Confederate CRandS Custom-built Dainese Derbi Diesel Ducati Eddie Lawson EICMA 2008 EICMA 2009 EICMA 2012 EICMA 2013 EICMA 2014 EICMA 2015 EICMA 2016 Electric Ferrari Fischer flying machines Freddie Spencer Giacomo Agostini Gilera Harley-Davidson Helmets Henderson Hero Motocorp Hesketh Honda Horex Husqvarna Hybrid Hyosung Ilmor Indian Intermot 2012 Intermot 2014 Intermot 2016 Interviews Isle of Man TT Jawa Jay Leno Jeremy Burgess Kawasaki Kevin Schwantz KTM Lamborghini Lambretta Laverda Lazareth Lotus Mahindra Malaguti Markus Hofmann McLaren Mercedes-Benz Mick Doohan Midual Millepercento Mission Motors Mondial Morbidelli Morgan Moriwaki Moto Guzzi Moto Morini Moto2 Moto3 MotoCzysz MotoGP MotoGP-2007 MotoGP-2008 MotoGP-2009 MotoGP-2010 Motorcycle Design Motus MTT MV Agusta MZ News Nissan Norton NSU Peraves Petronas Peugeot Photography Piaggio Porsche Quad Renard Renault Riding Impressions Roehr Ronax Ronin Rotary Royal Enfield Scooters Segway Shootouts Short Films Skills Specials stunt riding Supercharged Suter Suzuki Toyota Travel trike Triumph Turbo TVS Two-stroke Ural V10 V12 V4 V6 V8 Valentino Rossi Velocette Vespa Victory Vincent Volkswagen Voxan Vyrus Wakan Wayne Gardner Wayne Rainey Wunderlich Yamaha Yoshimura Zagato