Friday, June 05, 2009
KTM to withdraw from the Dakar Rally!!
The organisers of the Dakar Rally have announced that from 2010, only motorcycles of up to 450cc engine capacity would be allowed to compete. And the first outcome of this new ‘rule’ is that KTM – who’ve taken eight consecutive wins at the Dakar in recent years – have announced their immediate withdrawal from the Dakar Rally. Instead, KTM say they will now focus on the world rally championship…
The announcement regarding the 450cc engine limit being implemented from 2010 does seem a bit unfair for KTM, whose Dakar racebikes are fitted with 654cc single-cylinder engines. Various KTM teams and riders had already started preparing for the 2010 Dakar Rally (which is about six months away…) and the new rule would certainly mean that all their plans have now gone down the drain.
‘Every sport regulation needs changes and adjustments to new developments to retain an interest in it, but this also require the appropriate lead times. We have the entire material for the 690 Rally motorcycles for our factory team as well as that for 50 customers’ motorcycles in our storage facility ready to be constructed in June. Riders’ contracts have been finalised and all the team members have been engaged. The financial consequences that results from this decision are enormous. Quite apart from this, we are shocked by the organiser’s lack of loyalty, above all because of the huge efforts we made following the cancellation of the Dakar in 2008 by contributing to the new edition, even during a period of extreme economic crisis,’ says Heinz Kinigadner, KTM Motor Sport Advisor.
‘Rally sport serves to prove the efficiency and stability of our large volume series single cylinder. There is no question that we will remain active in rally sport! We will now fully concentrate on the World Rally Championship and we will seek out alternatives,’ says Winfried Kerschhaggl, KTM Motor Sport Director.
- ► 2016 (135)
- ► 2015 (89)
- ► 2014 (113)
- ► 2013 (157)
- ► 2012 (284)
- ► 2011 (182)
- ► 2010 (196)
- 2009 Dutch TT: Race results from Assen
- Michael Jackson dies of cardiac arrest
- FIM announces new race series for electric motorcy...
- Suzuki launch RMX450Z Enduro racer aimed at 2010 D...
- 2010 Honda VFR1200 revealed!
- Gooichi 749: Longer, lower, hotter…
- Ferrari vs Ducati showdown at ‘Ducs Fly South’ tra...
- Mitsuyoshi Kohama talks about future Honda motorcy...
- Riding impression: Derbi Mulhacén Café 659 Angel N...
- Shocker: Patmont Motor Werks show radical new off-...
- KTM to continue development work on two-stroke eng...
- James Toseland to return to WSBK in 2010, with Als...
- Scorpion Performance: The supercharged, 90bhp Cagi...
- 2009 Catalan Grand Prix: More pics, chicks, video ...
- Jay Leno talks about the Zero S
- 2009 Catalan MotoGP: Race results from Catalunya
- 2010 Kawasaki 1400GTR may get night vision, HUD
- 2010 Aprilia RSV1000 Factory: Transformed!
- KTM-engined Lambretta runs amok…
- MotoCzysz E1pc: Michael Czysz’s battery-powered su...
- KTM to withdraw from the Dakar Rally!!
- Tularis 800: Two-stroke Polaris-powered buzzbomb
- BMW Le Rider: Lo and behold!
- Firexpress BMW R1200RT: The heat is on…
- 2009 Italian MotoGP: Images from Mugello
- ▼ June (25)
- ► 2008 (479)
- ► 2007 (430)
2WD AC Schnitzer AJS Akrapovic all-wheel-drive Alpinestars AMG Aprilia Ariel Audi Avinton Bajaj Barry Sheene Benelli Bianchi Bimota BMW Bosch Brammo Brembo Britten BSA Buell Bultaco Cagiva Campagna Can-Am Carver Casey Stoner Caterham Chinese bikes Classics Concept Bike Confederate CRandS Custom-built Dainese Derbi Diesel Ducati Eddie Lawson EICMA 2008 EICMA 2009 EICMA 2012 EICMA 2013 EICMA 2014 EICMA 2015 EICMA 2016 Electric Ferrari Fischer flying machines Freddie Spencer Giacomo Agostini Gilera Harley-Davidson Helmets Henderson Hero Motocorp Hesketh Honda Horex Husqvarna Hybrid Hyosung Ilmor Indian Intermot 2012 Intermot 2014 Intermot 2016 Interviews Isle of Man TT Jawa Jay Leno Jeremy Burgess Kawasaki Kevin Schwantz KTM Lamborghini Lambretta Laverda Lazareth Lotus Mahindra Malaguti Markus Hofmann McLaren Mercedes-Benz Mick Doohan Midual Millepercento Mission Motors Mondial Morbidelli Morgan Moriwaki Moto Guzzi Moto Morini Moto2 Moto3 MotoCzysz MotoGP MotoGP-2007 MotoGP-2008 MotoGP-2009 MotoGP-2010 Motorcycle Design Motus MTT MV Agusta MZ News Nissan Norton NSU Peraves Petronas Peugeot Photography Piaggio Porsche Quad Renard Renault Riding Impressions Roehr Ronax Ronin Rotary Royal Enfield Scooters Segway Shootouts Short Films Skills Specials stunt riding Supercharged Suter Suzuki Toyota Travel trike Triumph Turbo TVS Two-stroke Ural V10 V12 V4 V6 V8 Valentino Rossi Velocette Vespa Victory Vincent Volkswagen Voxan Vyrus Wakan Wayne Gardner Wayne Rainey Wunderlich Yamaha Yoshimura Zagato