Thursday, August 27, 2009
MZ Emmely EL1: Are Chinese-made electric scooters the future of MZ?
According to a report on Solo Moto, the legendary Germany motorcycle brand – MZ – is on the comeback path and will start manufacturing new motorcycles by 2011.
Malaysian company Hong Leong had pulled the plug on MZ back in 2008, and German ex-racers Ralf Waldman and Martin Wimmer bought the worldwide rights (excluding Southeast Asia) to the MZ name in March this year, for a rumoured 4.5 million euros.
Now, in a recent press conference in Germany, MZ have announced that they have signed an agreement with electric vehicle specialists Clean Mobile AG, and they will start producing electric and hybrid-engined scooters in 2010.
MZ’s first electric scooter, the Emmely EL1, will be manufactured in China. Powered by a lithium-ion battery, the EL1 boasts of a top speed of 25km/h and will be sold in Germany as a moped. The EL1 will later be followed by EL2 and EL3 models, with top speeds of 45km/h and 80km/h respectively.
The MZ EL1 will go on sale in Germany by the end of this year, the EL2 will be available in 2010 and the EL3 is expected in 2011. We don’t know what MZ fans think of this, but we believe it’s a shame that a great name like MZ has been reduced to selling battery-powered Chinese-made scooters. Why did Ralf and Martin resurrect the MZ name if all they had to do was sell wimpy little electric scooters? Couldn’t they have just started a new company and established a new brand for that? We only hope they have something much better in store for MZ enthusiasts, which they will launch by 2011!
- ► 2016 (135)
- ► 2015 (89)
- ► 2014 (113)
- ► 2013 (157)
- ► 2012 (284)
- ► 2011 (182)
- ► 2010 (196)
- MotoGP 3D: For those who really like to watch…!
- BMW F800R Chris Pfeiffer replica announced
- MZ Emmely EL1: Are Chinese-made electric scooters ...
- Millyard Viper V10: Allen Millyard builds 8.0-litr...
- T-Kart: $1,900 DIY Batmobile is go!
- Jorge Lorenzo to stay at Yamaha for 2010
- 2010 Roehr 1250sc riding impression
- In conversation with Kevin ‘Revvin’ Schwantz
- GP Motorsports to sell Aprilia-powered, Ilmor-fram...
- Ducati 1098S: Martini Racing replica rocks!
- About clicking on and downloading photos on Faster...
- 2009 Czech MotoGP: Race pics from Brno
- Ilmor develop turbocharged 700cc five-stroke engin...
- Confederate P120 Fighter Combat unveiled
- 2009 Czech MotoGP: Race results from Brno
- AD Koncept’s Playboy LCR-Honda Fireblade replica
- Casey Stoner to miss next three MotoGP races due t...
- Lazareth Wazuma: 500bhp BMW V12-powered quad that ...
- Special Edition Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R up for grabs ...
- Richard Hammond races a Honda Fireblade against a ...
- Red Fenix’s US$144,000 Ducati 1198RF
- Colin Edwards: The Texas Tornado talks...
- 2WD Yamaha R1: Riding impression
- 2010 Yamaha VMax announced
- Showdown: Yamaha V-Max vs Harley-Davidson VRSCF V-...
- Shaggy: Fly High
- Please help the Black Nail Brigade Foundation
- ▼ August (27)
- ► 2008 (479)
- ► 2007 (430)
2WD AC Schnitzer AJS Akrapovic all-wheel-drive Alpinestars AMG Aprilia Ariel Audi Avinton Bajaj Barry Sheene Benelli Bianchi Bimota BMW Bosch Brammo Brembo Britten BSA Buell Bultaco Cagiva Campagna Can-Am Carver Casey Stoner Caterham Chinese bikes Classics Concept Bike Confederate CRandS Custom-built Dainese Derbi Diesel Ducati Eddie Lawson EICMA 2008 EICMA 2009 EICMA 2012 EICMA 2013 EICMA 2014 EICMA 2015 EICMA 2016 Electric Ferrari Fischer flying machines Freddie Spencer Giacomo Agostini Gilera Harley-Davidson Helmets Henderson Hero Motocorp Hesketh Honda Horex Husqvarna Hybrid Hyosung Ilmor Indian Intermot 2012 Intermot 2014 Intermot 2016 Interviews Isle of Man TT Jawa Jay Leno Jeremy Burgess Kawasaki Kevin Schwantz KTM Lamborghini Lambretta Laverda Lazareth Lotus Mahindra Malaguti Markus Hofmann McLaren Mercedes-Benz Mick Doohan Midual Millepercento Mission Motors Mondial Morbidelli Morgan Moriwaki Moto Guzzi Moto Morini Moto2 Moto3 MotoCzysz MotoGP MotoGP-2007 MotoGP-2008 MotoGP-2009 MotoGP-2010 Motorcycle Design Motus MTT MV Agusta MZ News Nissan Norton NSU Peraves Petronas Peugeot Photography Piaggio Porsche Quad Renard Renault Riding Impressions Roehr Ronax Ronin Rotary Royal Enfield Scooters Segway Shootouts Short Films Skills Specials stunt riding Supercharged Suter Suzuki Toyota Travel trike Triumph Turbo TVS Two-stroke Ural V10 V12 V4 V6 V8 Valentino Rossi Velocette Vespa Victory Vincent Volkswagen Voxan Vyrus Wakan Wayne Gardner Wayne Rainey Wunderlich Yamaha Yoshimura Zagato