Monday, September 21, 2009
Giacomo Agostini: “I am the greatest!”
With 122 race wins and 15 world championships, Giacomo Agostini is one of motorcycle grand prix road racing’s all-time greats. French magazine Moto Revue recently interviewed the 67-year-old Italian ex-racer, and here are some excerpts from what Giacomo had to say:
On whether he thinks Rossi can beat his record of 122 race wins
It’s possible. He will try, it's normal. I'd do the same if I were in his place [but] I hope he does not get there!
On comparing his days in racing to the current scenario
You know, winning, it has always been difficult – you have to give 100% of your potential, you have to fight. The difference is that in my time, I lost a friend every week. Today, it is safer and we should be very happy about that.
On who’s the greatest motorcycle racer ever
If you ask Valentino that question, he will tell you it's him. If you could ask Mike Hailwood, he would tell you it's him. Phil Read believes he is the best. So it's natural that I would say I am the greatest.
On who might be Rossi’s successor
I think it’s obviously Jorge Lorenzo. He's only 22 years old and has enormous talent. He may not be the same charisma as Valentino, but what makes a champion, above all, is race victories. And for that, I think Jorge will make history.
On how the world of motorcycle GP racing has changed
Everything changes. It's progress, we cannot do anything about it. Sure, the atmosphere is very different today than it was thirty years ago. In my day, the atmosphere was more family-like, we were more united. But we must also say that we were between 7-10 people per team. It was easier to know everyone. Today, running a MotoGP team means having about 30 people. We cannot share the same things with such big teams.
For the full interview, visit the Moto Revue website here
- ► 2016 (135)
- ► 2015 (89)
- ► 2014 (113)
- ► 2013 (157)
- ► 2012 (284)
- ► 2011 (182)
- ► 2010 (196)
- 2010 Honda CB1100 to be unveiled at the Tokyo Moto...
- Jay Leno to auction off his Yamaha VMax to promote...
- Face off: Mick Doohan vs Michael Schumacher in ROC...
- Motorcycle Helmets: The Snell debate rages on
- 2010 Triumph Rocket III Roadster announced
- Rever Corsa Ducati 1198 Strada unleashed
- 2010 MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR, 990R announced
- Honda U3-X: Reinventing the wheel?
- Moto Morini believe they’ll be back on track in 20...
- 2010 Aprilia RSV4 R announced
- 2010 Ducati Hypermotard 796 announced
- Video: Kane Friesen’s 219km/h stoppie!
- Giacomo Agostini: “I am the greatest!”
- Ben Spies replica Yamaha R1 prepared by UK dealer
- BMW S1000RR: UK prices announced
- Eddie Lawson, Wayne Rainey agree 2009 Yamaha YZR-M...
- Mission One electric bike hits 241.5km/h at Bonnev...
- Suzi Perry is UK bikers’ fantasy passenger
- Motus Motorcycles, Pratt & Miller working on V4-en...
- Faster and Faster gets on The Daily Reviewer's Top...
- 2Evil: The Scooter from Hell
- 2010 Suzuki GSX1250FA unveiled
- 2010 Suzuki GSF1250 Bandit announced
- Valentino Rossi: ‘To improve at 29, you have to st...
- 2010 Yamaha FZ1 announced
- 2010 Yamaha FZ6R announced
- 2010 Yamaha YZF-R6 announced
- Honda dual clutch transmission for bigger sportsbi...
- 2010 Can-Am Spyder Roadster line-up announced
- 2010 Honda CB1000R announced
- 2010 Honda CBR600RR announced
- 2010 Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade announced
- ION: Battery-powered prototype sportsbike looks go...
- King Kenny rides the Yamaha TZ750. Again
- Kevin Schwantz on the 1993 Suzuki RGV500: “Everyth...
- ▼ September (35)
- ► 2008 (479)
- ► 2007 (430)
2WD AC Schnitzer AJS Akrapovic all-wheel-drive Alpinestars AMG Aprilia Ariel Audi Avinton Bajaj Barry Sheene Benelli Bianchi Bimota BMW Bosch Brammo Brembo Britten BSA Buell Bultaco Cagiva Campagna Can-Am Carver Casey Stoner Caterham Chinese bikes Classics Concept Bike Confederate CRandS Custom-built Dainese Derbi Diesel Ducati Eddie Lawson EICMA 2008 EICMA 2009 EICMA 2012 EICMA 2013 EICMA 2014 EICMA 2015 EICMA 2016 Electric Ferrari Fischer flying machines Freddie Spencer Giacomo Agostini Gilera Harley-Davidson Helmets Henderson Hero Motocorp Hesketh Honda Horex Husqvarna Hybrid Hyosung Ilmor Indian Intermot 2012 Intermot 2014 Intermot 2016 Interviews Isle of Man TT Jawa Jay Leno Jeremy Burgess Kawasaki Kevin Schwantz KTM Lamborghini Lambretta Laverda Lazareth Lotus Mahindra Malaguti Markus Hofmann McLaren Mercedes-Benz Mick Doohan Midual Millepercento Mission Motors Mondial Morbidelli Morgan Moriwaki Moto Guzzi Moto Morini Moto2 Moto3 MotoCzysz MotoGP MotoGP-2007 MotoGP-2008 MotoGP-2009 MotoGP-2010 Motorcycle Design Motus MTT MV Agusta MZ News Nissan Norton NSU Peraves Petronas Peugeot Photography Piaggio Porsche Quad Renard Renault Riding Impressions Roehr Ronax Ronin Rotary Royal Enfield Scooters Segway Shootouts Short Films Skills Specials stunt riding Supercharged Suter Suzuki Toyota Travel trike Triumph Turbo TVS Two-stroke Ural V10 V12 V4 V6 V8 Valentino Rossi Velocette Vespa Victory Vincent Volkswagen Voxan Vyrus Wakan Wayne Gardner Wayne Rainey Wunderlich Yamaha Yoshimura Zagato