Saturday, October 10, 2009
Jeremy Burgess: ‘Valentino develops the bike, the other guy just rides it!’
Valentino Rossi’s chief mechanic at the Fiat Yamaha MotoGP team, Jeremy Burgess recently gave full credit to The Doctor for having developed the YZR-M1 into a competitive machine that other riders could also ride well, without the bike needing additional development work.
‘Valentino showed that he could win on a Honda that other riders could win on, and he could then take the Yamaha machine that no other riders could consistently win on and win on it,’ says Burgess, speaking to MotoGP. ‘It’s not as easy to develop the bike as it is to ride the bike. We have a rider in Valentino who develops the bike and we have on the other side of the garage one guy who just has to ride,’ he adds. [We wonder what Jorge Lorenzo would have to say to that!]
Moving on, Burgess also says he believes Rossi could race in MotoGP for another few years without too much trouble. ‘He is a young man. He’s 30 years-old, he has had a very clean, accident-free career and is in perfect physical condition. Being the phenomenon that he is, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that he could continue racing until he is 35 or beyond. As long as he is competitive, he certainly will continue to race – I am sure of that,’ says Burgess.
Talking about his own plans for the future, Burgess implies that he might leave MotoGP when Rossi does. ‘When Valentino makes the decision that he no longer wants to continue racing, that will be the point where I will make my own decision about what I do in the future. I am 56 years of age, so if Valentino does four more years I will be 60 and we could make a decision then,’ he says.
‘To pair up myself with a young rider in his early 20s or late-teens would be like coupling a kid with his grandfather and I don’t think that combination would necessarily work as well as it has so far,’ says Burgess, when asked whether he might someday work with a younger rider.
- ► 2016 (135)
- ► 2015 (89)
- ► 2014 (113)
- ► 2013 (157)
- ► 2012 (284)
- ► 2011 (182)
- ► 2010 (196)
- US Government agrees to extend loans to manufactur...
- V12 Honda CBX redefines ‘awesome’
- Shinya Nakano retires from racing, might continue ...
- V8-engined Cosmos 4RWF, 2RWF from Brazil
- Piaggio to invest 12 million euros towards the rev...
- 2010 Kawasaki 1400 GTR riding impression
- 2010 Honda VFR1200F: First ride by CMG Online
- Mega Machines: SR-71 Blackbird vs Ducati Desmosedi...
- Darren Haley builds ‘night vision’ system for his ...
- Claudio Castiglioni: ‘We must now go forward and r...
- Buell to be shut down, MV Agusta to be sold: Harle...
- Wayne Gardner, Mick Doohan ride in Melbourne to pr...
- 2010 Vyrus 987 C3 4V: Fastest, most powerful produ...
- Wayne Gardner says Stoner’s absence was ‘suspiciou...
- BMW F800R Chris Pfeiffer: Riding impression
- Ducati Streetfighter S: Riding impression
- Jeremy Burgess: ‘Valentino develops the bike, the ...
- 2010 Yamahas get… new colours, revised ECUs!!!
- Valentino Rossi: Special liveries don't work as we...
- Husqvarna hits 25,000 units production mark under ...
- Honda VFR1200F: redefining the sports-tourer
- 2010 Honda VFR1200F: Official pics, specs and vide...
- Nissan Land Glider: A four-wheeled motorcycle!
- Aprilia SMV750 Dorsoduro ABS: Riding impression
- Casey Stoner: ‘Experience counts for nothing’
- BMW C1-E concept revealed
- Six Monkeys build a Triumph Daytona 1050
- 2010 Kawasaki ZX-10R revealed, looks dull
- 2010 Kawasaki Versys gets… new headlights!
- 2010 Kawasaki 1400GTR gets traction control
- 2010 Kawasaki Z1000 gets new engine and chassis
- Gigi, Zário: Brazil’s motorcycle-riding comic book...
- ▼ October (32)
- ► 2008 (479)
- ► 2007 (430)
2WD AC Schnitzer AJS Akrapovic all-wheel-drive Alpinestars AMG Aprilia Ariel Audi Avinton Bajaj Barry Sheene Benelli Bianchi Bimota BMW Bosch Brammo Brembo Britten BSA Buell Bultaco Cagiva Campagna Can-Am Carver Casey Stoner Caterham Chinese bikes Classics Concept Bike Confederate CRandS Custom-built Dainese Derbi Diesel Ducati Eddie Lawson EICMA 2008 EICMA 2009 EICMA 2012 EICMA 2013 EICMA 2014 EICMA 2015 EICMA 2016 Electric Ferrari Fischer flying machines Freddie Spencer Giacomo Agostini Gilera Harley-Davidson Helmets Henderson Hero Motocorp Hesketh Honda Horex Husqvarna Hybrid Hyosung Ilmor Indian Intermot 2012 Intermot 2014 Intermot 2016 Interviews Isle of Man TT Jawa Jay Leno Jeremy Burgess Kawasaki Kevin Schwantz KTM Lamborghini Lambretta Laverda Lazareth Lotus Mahindra Malaguti Markus Hofmann McLaren Mercedes-Benz Mick Doohan Midual Millepercento Mission Motors Mondial Morbidelli Morgan Moriwaki Moto Guzzi Moto Morini Moto2 Moto3 MotoCzysz MotoGP MotoGP-2007 MotoGP-2008 MotoGP-2009 MotoGP-2010 Motorcycle Design Motus MTT MV Agusta MZ News Nissan Norton NSU Peraves Petronas Peugeot Photography Piaggio Porsche Quad Renard Renault Riding Impressions Roehr Ronax Ronin Rotary Royal Enfield Scooters Segway Shootouts Short Films Skills Specials stunt riding Supercharged Suter Suzuki Toyota Travel trike Triumph Turbo TVS Two-stroke Ural V10 V12 V4 V6 V8 Valentino Rossi Velocette Vespa Victory Vincent Volkswagen Voxan Vyrus Wakan Wayne Gardner Wayne Rainey Wunderlich Yamaha Yoshimura Zagato