Monday, December 07, 2009
1987 Suzuki GSX-R750: Old school cool
Old-school Suzuki GSX-R750s and GSX-R1100s from the 1980s and 1990s are pretty cool – there’s something intriguing about these bikes and here at Faster and Faster, we quite like these bikes’ hard-edged persona.
Take this 1987 GSX-R750, for example, which has been restored and updated in a big way. The list of mods is very long – the entire front end (wheels and suspension) is from a 2007 GSX-R750, brake callipers and rotors are from Beringer, the rear swingarm has been modified to accept a 180-section rear tyre, and the stock shock has been replaced by an Ohlins unit from a Ducati Monster. Bodywork is mostly stock but various aftermarket accessories have been bolted on…
The engine has been fully rebuilt – the stock block was bored out to 770cc and larger pistons, aftermarket cams, a port job, bigger oil cooler, nitrous-oxide injection system and Vance & Hines exhaust system take care of things in the power department. According to Super Streetbike, the rebuilt GSX-R’s power delivery is ‘much snappier and more responsive’ than the stocker’s, and the bike can keep up with modern 600s, though probably not with a 750.
For more details, visit Super Streetbike. Also visit MotoGP Werks, who put the bike together.
- ► 2016 (135)
- ► 2015 (89)
- ► 2014 (113)
- ► 2013 (157)
- ► 2012 (284)
- ► 2011 (182)
- ► 2010 (196)
- Claudio Castiglioni: “Why stop at 150km/h?!”
- Ben Spies' Yamaha R1 riding impression
- Moto Guzzi V12 concept bikes win 2009 MDA Trophy
- BMW S1000RR takes on Japanese litre-class superbik...
- KTM 690 Duke R riding impression
- Aprilia RSV4 R riding impression
- Cedric Lynch: “They won't equal petrol-engined bik...
- 1,000cc engines to make a comeback in MotoGP in 20...
- Graziano Rossi: “As soon as you believe you are th...
- Shootout: Benelli TNT 1130 vs Ducati Streetfighter...
- Cameron Diaz, Tom Cruise ride a Ducati Hypermotard...
- Voxan VX10 Nefertiti: The road less travelled…
- Ducati Desmosedici RR: Better than ever before...
- 1987 Suzuki GSX-R750: Old school cool
- BMW S1000RR goes to war against Japan Inc.
- Suzuki GB announces limited edition GSX-R750
- ▼ December (16)
- ► 2008 (479)
- ► 2007 (430)
2WD AC Schnitzer AJS Akrapovic all-wheel-drive Alpinestars AMG Aprilia Ariel Audi Avinton Bajaj Barry Sheene Benelli Bianchi Bimota BMW Bosch Brammo Brembo Britten BSA Buell Bultaco Cagiva Campagna Can-Am Carver Casey Stoner Caterham Chinese bikes Classics Concept Bike Confederate CRandS Custom-built Dainese Derbi Diesel Ducati Eddie Lawson EICMA 2008 EICMA 2009 EICMA 2012 EICMA 2013 EICMA 2014 EICMA 2015 EICMA 2016 Electric Ferrari Fischer flying machines Freddie Spencer Giacomo Agostini Gilera Harley-Davidson Helmets Henderson Hero Motocorp Hesketh Honda Horex Husqvarna Hybrid Hyosung Ilmor Indian Intermot 2012 Intermot 2014 Intermot 2016 Interviews Isle of Man TT Jawa Jay Leno Jeremy Burgess Kawasaki Kevin Schwantz KTM Lamborghini Lambretta Laverda Lazareth Lotus Mahindra Malaguti Markus Hofmann McLaren Mercedes-Benz Mick Doohan Midual Millepercento Mission Motors Mondial Morbidelli Morgan Moriwaki Moto Guzzi Moto Morini Moto2 Moto3 MotoCzysz MotoGP MotoGP-2007 MotoGP-2008 MotoGP-2009 MotoGP-2010 Motorcycle Design Motus MTT MV Agusta MZ News Nissan Norton NSU Peraves Petronas Peugeot Photography Piaggio Porsche Quad Renard Renault Riding Impressions Roehr Ronax Ronin Rotary Royal Enfield Scooters Segway Shootouts Short Films Skills Specials stunt riding Supercharged Suter Suzuki Toyota Travel trike Triumph Turbo TVS Two-stroke Ural V10 V12 V4 V6 V8 Valentino Rossi Velocette Vespa Victory Vincent Volkswagen Voxan Vyrus Wakan Wayne Gardner Wayne Rainey Wunderlich Yamaha Yoshimura Zagato