Friday, January 29, 2010
2010 Laureus World Sportsman of the Year: Valentino Rossi vs Usain Bolt
To be held on the 10th of March in Abu Dhabi, the capital city of the United Arab Emirates, the 2010 Laureus World Sports Awards will see two of the greatest athletes of our time facing off for the Laureus World Sportsman of the Year award. While others are also in the running, the two candidates that seem to have the biggest chance of winning the award are Jamaica’s Usain Bolt and Italy’s Valentino Rossi.
Usain Bolt, Time magazine’s 2009 Person of the Year, won the Laureus World Sportsman of the Year award last year and is said to be a strong contender for this year’s award as well. He is currently the world’s fastest runner, with a world record time of 9.58 seconds in the 100m sprint and 19.19 seconds in the 200m race.
Valentino ‘The Doctor’ Rossi is, of course, one of the greatest motorcycle racers of all time, with seven world championships in the MotoGP premier class – he’s the only man to have won world championships in the 500cc two-stroke and 990cc and 800cc four-stroke classes.
Other contenders for the 2010 Laureus World Sportsman of the Year award include four-time Laureus winner Roger Federer (Tennis), Hideki Matsui (Baseball), Kenenisa Bekele (long distance runner), Lionel Messi (Football), Alberto Contador (Cycling), Santonio Holmes (American Football), Mitchell Johnson (Cricket), Manny Pacquiao (Boxing), Michael Phelps (Swimming), Andreas Thorkildsen's (Javelin) and Craig Alexander (Triathlon).
‘This promises to be a tremendous fight for this year's Laureus Awards. I can rarely remember a year, outside of the Olympic Games year, when there has been such a strong line-up of potential nominees in the Laureus Sportsman of the Year category. I think the world's media will have a difficult job coming up with a list of just six from all the possible names and I think there is going to be quite a debate over the next few months about who should win,’ says double Olympic gold medallist Edwin Moses, Chairman of the Laureus World Sports Academy.
For us, there is no debate here – Valentino Rossi is the one who must win the award, period!
- ► 2016 (135)
- ► 2015 (89)
- ► 2014 (113)
- ► 2013 (157)
- ► 2012 (284)
- ► 2011 (182)
- Bombay Blues: 1969 Royal Enfield Bullet 350 café r...
- Bosch’s motorcycle ABS wins Yellow Angel award fro...
- Erik Buell: “I’m certainly not done…”
- 2010 Laureus World Sportsman of the Year: Valentin...
- Kawasaki ZX-7 gets two-stroke makeover
- IoM announces TT Zero, TTXGP sidelined again
- 2010 KTM 990 Adventure R riding impression
- 2010 Kawasaki Z1000 vs Triumph Speed Triple
- Vyrus 987 C3 4V: Official pics, specs
- Tamburini T1: Beyond perfect…?
- James Toseland: ‘Lorenzo comes across really arrog...
- Quest Velomobile: Honda ANF125i streamliner hits 2...
- Loris Capirossi: ‘MotoGP is for girls!’
- Wayne Gardner turns 50
- Charge: Mark Neale's film on the TTXGP story
- Love, Speed and Loss: Remembering Kim Newcombe
- Suzuki GB invites online reservations for 25th Ann...
- 2010 BMW R1200GS riding impression
- Motus MST-01 sports tourer bets big on GDI tech
- Bimota DB8: More performance, less money
- Ducati streetbikes to benefit from MotoGP developm...
- Nicky Hayden, on choosing between Megan Fox and Ke...
- Casey Stoner: “We’re going out to win the champion...
- In conversation with Patrizia Ruiz, the MotoGP Bea...
- Ducati 599 Mono concept from Australia
- Aprilia RSV4 Factory vs Ducati 1198S vs KTM RC8R
- Ducati 1098S vs Nissan Skyline GTR
- ▼ January (27)
- ► 2009 (345)
- ► 2008 (479)
- ► 2007 (430)
2WD AC Schnitzer AJS Akrapovic all-wheel-drive Alpinestars AMG Aprilia Ariel Audi Avinton Bajaj Barry Sheene Benelli Bianchi Bimota BMW Bosch Brammo Brembo Britten BSA Buell Bultaco Cagiva Campagna Can-Am Carver Casey Stoner Caterham Chinese bikes Classics Concept Bike Confederate CRandS Custom-built Dainese Derbi Diesel Ducati Eddie Lawson EICMA 2008 EICMA 2009 EICMA 2012 EICMA 2013 EICMA 2014 EICMA 2015 EICMA 2016 Electric Ferrari Fischer flying machines Freddie Spencer Giacomo Agostini Gilera Harley-Davidson Helmets Henderson Hero Motocorp Hesketh Honda Horex Husqvarna Hybrid Hyosung Ilmor Indian Intermot 2012 Intermot 2014 Intermot 2016 Interviews Isle of Man TT Jawa Jay Leno Jeremy Burgess Kawasaki Kevin Schwantz KTM Lamborghini Lambretta Laverda Lazareth Lotus Mahindra Malaguti Markus Hofmann McLaren Mercedes-Benz Mick Doohan Midual Millepercento Mission Motors Mondial Morbidelli Morgan Moriwaki Moto Guzzi Moto Morini Moto2 Moto3 MotoCzysz MotoGP MotoGP-2007 MotoGP-2008 MotoGP-2009 MotoGP-2010 Motorcycle Design Motus MTT MV Agusta MZ News Nissan Norton NSU Peraves Petronas Peugeot Photography Piaggio Porsche Quad Renard Renault Riding Impressions Roehr Ronax Ronin Rotary Royal Enfield Scooters Segway Shootouts Short Films Skills Specials stunt riding Supercharged Suter Suzuki Toyota Travel trike Triumph Turbo TVS Two-stroke Ural V10 V12 V4 V6 V8 Valentino Rossi Velocette Vespa Victory Vincent Volkswagen Voxan Vyrus Wakan Wayne Gardner Wayne Rainey Wunderlich Yamaha Yoshimura Zagato