Friday, January 29, 2010
Bosch’s motorcycle ABS wins Yellow Angel award from ADAC
Bosch, which has developed the world’s smallest, lightest anti-lock braking system (ABS) for motorcycles, has won the ‘Gelber Engel’ (yellow angel) award from Allgemeiner Deutscher Automobil-Club e.V. (ADAC), Europe’s largest automobile club and biggest motorcycle association in the world. The award has been given out in recognition of the system’s potential for improving road safety for motorcyclists.
Bosch’s ninth-generation ABS for motorcycles allows various levels of performance and can be optimised for different applications, including sportsbikes. At 0.7kg, this ABS variant weight about half as much as its immediate predecessor.
‘Our entry-level ABS is by far the most compact system in the market. Its cost-optimised design makes ABS affordable for all classes of motorcycle for the first time,’ says Dr Werner Struth, president of Bosch’s Chassis Systems Control division.
Bosch has been manufacturing brake control systems for motorcycles since 1994. And while earlier ABS modules were based on passenger car technology, engineers at the Bosch competence centre in Japan have now designed a new ABS specifically for motorcycles. This system went into production in November last year.
While ABS is widely recognised as one of the biggest, most important advances in motorcycle safety, only about 10% of new motorcycles currently manufactured in Europe are equipped with this life saving technology. Worldwide, the figure is still lower – a dismal 1%. By way of comparison, the figure for passenger cars fitted with ABS worldwide has now reached 80%.
In Europe, the risk of being involved in a fatal accident when riding a motorcycle is 20 times greater than when driving a car, for the same distance travelled. In this context, the use of ABS on motorcycles should be an absolute must.
- ► 2016 (135)
- ► 2015 (89)
- ► 2014 (113)
- ► 2013 (157)
- ► 2012 (284)
- ► 2011 (182)
- Bombay Blues: 1969 Royal Enfield Bullet 350 café r...
- Bosch’s motorcycle ABS wins Yellow Angel award fro...
- Erik Buell: “I’m certainly not done…”
- 2010 Laureus World Sportsman of the Year: Valentin...
- Kawasaki ZX-7 gets two-stroke makeover
- IoM announces TT Zero, TTXGP sidelined again
- 2010 KTM 990 Adventure R riding impression
- 2010 Kawasaki Z1000 vs Triumph Speed Triple
- Vyrus 987 C3 4V: Official pics, specs
- Tamburini T1: Beyond perfect…?
- James Toseland: ‘Lorenzo comes across really arrog...
- Quest Velomobile: Honda ANF125i streamliner hits 2...
- Loris Capirossi: ‘MotoGP is for girls!’
- Wayne Gardner turns 50
- Charge: Mark Neale's film on the TTXGP story
- Love, Speed and Loss: Remembering Kim Newcombe
- Suzuki GB invites online reservations for 25th Ann...
- 2010 BMW R1200GS riding impression
- Motus MST-01 sports tourer bets big on GDI tech
- Bimota DB8: More performance, less money
- Ducati streetbikes to benefit from MotoGP developm...
- Nicky Hayden, on choosing between Megan Fox and Ke...
- Casey Stoner: “We’re going out to win the champion...
- In conversation with Patrizia Ruiz, the MotoGP Bea...
- Ducati 599 Mono concept from Australia
- Aprilia RSV4 Factory vs Ducati 1198S vs KTM RC8R
- Ducati 1098S vs Nissan Skyline GTR
- ▼ January (27)
- ► 2009 (345)
- ► 2008 (479)
- ► 2007 (430)
2WD AC Schnitzer AJS Akrapovic all-wheel-drive Alpinestars AMG Aprilia Ariel Audi Avinton Bajaj Barry Sheene Benelli Bianchi Bimota BMW Bosch Brammo Brembo Britten BSA Buell Bultaco Cagiva Campagna Can-Am Carver Casey Stoner Caterham Chinese bikes Classics Concept Bike Confederate CRandS Custom-built Dainese Derbi Diesel Ducati Eddie Lawson EICMA 2008 EICMA 2009 EICMA 2012 EICMA 2013 EICMA 2014 EICMA 2015 EICMA 2016 Electric Ferrari Fischer flying machines Freddie Spencer Giacomo Agostini Gilera Harley-Davidson Helmets Henderson Hero Motocorp Hesketh Honda Horex Husqvarna Hybrid Hyosung Ilmor Indian Intermot 2012 Intermot 2014 Intermot 2016 Interviews Isle of Man TT Jawa Jay Leno Jeremy Burgess Kawasaki Kevin Schwantz KTM Lamborghini Lambretta Laverda Lazareth Lotus Mahindra Malaguti Markus Hofmann McLaren Mercedes-Benz Mick Doohan Midual Millepercento Mission Motors Mondial Morbidelli Morgan Moriwaki Moto Guzzi Moto Morini Moto2 Moto3 MotoCzysz MotoGP MotoGP-2007 MotoGP-2008 MotoGP-2009 MotoGP-2010 Motorcycle Design Motus MTT MV Agusta MZ News Nissan Norton NSU Peraves Petronas Peugeot Photography Piaggio Porsche Quad Renard Renault Riding Impressions Roehr Ronax Ronin Rotary Royal Enfield Scooters Segway Shootouts Short Films Skills Specials stunt riding Supercharged Suter Suzuki Toyota Travel trike Triumph Turbo TVS Two-stroke Ural V10 V12 V4 V6 V8 Valentino Rossi Velocette Vespa Victory Vincent Volkswagen Voxan Vyrus Wakan Wayne Gardner Wayne Rainey Wunderlich Yamaha Yoshimura Zagato