Friday, February 26, 2010
Riders for Health: Rossi R1 bike to be auctioned for charity
Don Emde (1972 Daytona 200 winner) recently unveiled a special Yamaha R1 project bike at a Long Beach Show in the US. Emde, who also announced the launch of a new non-profit organization called Friends of Riders for Health, Inc., led a one-year team effort to customize the machine with aftermarket accessories and a one-off graphic theme replicating Valentino Rossi's famous ‘Five Continents’ AGV helmet by designer Aldo Drudi. The R1’s graphic wrap was done in Italy by Pole Position Racing Service, which works with various MotoGP teams.
The Rossi R1 is scheduled to be sold at an auction to be announced in late 2010 or early 2011. It is a fully street legal and licensed motorcycle, though it has been stripped of certain street equipment (mirrors, turn signals and license plate/taillight) for display and will be delivered as a track day only machine. Apart from the graphics, the R1 features a long list of aftermarket parts – Ohlins FGRT808 fork, Ohlins TTX rear shock, Akrapovic Evolution exhaust, Dynojet Power Commander V and various other high-spec bits. To assist the new owner with their riding skills, the Yamaha Champions Riding School has donated a one-day school that will be included with the sale price.
‘Riders for Health is the official charity of the MotoGP series and I am so appreciative of the support from everyone in the sport that were involved in the project, including Valentino Rossi, who enthusiastically agreed to the use of his helmet design, and to Yamaha Motor Corp USA, AGV, Aldo Drudi of Drudi Performance and Luca Campanille of Pole Position. Without their support, such a unique finished product would not have been possible,’ says Emde.
Friends of Riders for Health, Inc. is dedicated to raising funds for Riders for Health through special projects and the R1 was the first project for the new organization. For more information, visit Friends of Riders for Health
- ► 2016 (135)
- ► 2015 (89)
- ► 2014 (113)
- ► 2013 (157)
- ► 2012 (284)
- ► 2011 (182)
- British Beef: 250km/h Kawasaki ZX-12R trike
- Riders for Health: Rossi R1 bike to be auctioned f...
- 2010 Yamaha XT1200Z Super Ténéré: First pics, spec...
- Honda 3R-C concept to be unveiled at the Geneva Sh...
- Kawasaki ZX-7R picture gallery
- Future Ducati superbikes might have monocoque fram...
- BMW S1000RR stars in Black Eyed Peas music video
- 2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE announced
- Peraves E-Tracer gunning for Progressive Automotiv...
- Memorable: Krauser MKM1000
- From Japan: Honda CB750 Café Type Motorimoda
- School’s Cool: Prototype bike with hubless rear wh...
- 2010 Triumph Rocket III Roadster riding impression...
- Bennetts Babes Search 2010: It’s on!
- In conversation with Oberdan Bezzi
- Volkswagen motorcycles: Will they or won’t they?
- 2010 MV Agusta F4 riding impression
- Bajaj Auto in talks for KTM buyout
- Wayne Gardner: The Lone Rider
- Alitalia to sponsor Aprilia in World Superbikes
- Memorable: Buell RR1000 BattleTwin
- 2010 BMW R1200RT riding impression
- 2010 Aprilia SXV 5.5: The hooligan’s choice
- Rossi vs Lorenzo: The rivalry builds…
- 2010 Yamaha R6 riding impression
- 2010 Valentino Rossi unveiled in Sepang, Malaysia
- Lambretta to return to 125cc motorcycle world cham...
- ▼ February (27)
- ► 2009 (345)
- ► 2008 (479)
- ► 2007 (430)
2WD AC Schnitzer AJS Akrapovic all-wheel-drive Alpinestars AMG Aprilia Ariel Audi Avinton Bajaj Barry Sheene Benelli Bianchi Bimota BMW Bosch Brammo Brembo Britten BSA Buell Bultaco Cagiva Campagna Can-Am Carver Casey Stoner Caterham Chinese bikes Classics Concept Bike Confederate CRandS Custom-built Dainese Derbi Diesel Ducati Eddie Lawson EICMA 2008 EICMA 2009 EICMA 2012 EICMA 2013 EICMA 2014 EICMA 2015 EICMA 2016 Electric Ferrari Fischer flying machines Freddie Spencer Giacomo Agostini Gilera Harley-Davidson Helmets Henderson Hero Motocorp Hesketh Honda Horex Husqvarna Hybrid Hyosung Ilmor Indian Intermot 2012 Intermot 2014 Intermot 2016 Interviews Isle of Man TT Jawa Jay Leno Jeremy Burgess Kawasaki Kevin Schwantz KTM Lamborghini Lambretta Laverda Lazareth Lotus Mahindra Malaguti Markus Hofmann McLaren Mercedes-Benz Mick Doohan Midual Millepercento Mission Motors Mondial Morbidelli Morgan Moriwaki Moto Guzzi Moto Morini Moto2 Moto3 MotoCzysz MotoGP MotoGP-2007 MotoGP-2008 MotoGP-2009 MotoGP-2010 Motorcycle Design Motus MTT MV Agusta MZ News Nissan Norton NSU Peraves Petronas Peugeot Photography Piaggio Porsche Quad Renard Renault Riding Impressions Roehr Ronax Ronin Rotary Royal Enfield Scooters Segway Shootouts Short Films Skills Specials stunt riding Supercharged Suter Suzuki Toyota Travel trike Triumph Turbo TVS Two-stroke Ural V10 V12 V4 V6 V8 Valentino Rossi Velocette Vespa Victory Vincent Volkswagen Voxan Vyrus Wakan Wayne Gardner Wayne Rainey Wunderlich Yamaha Yoshimura Zagato