Thursday, March 25, 2010
EN-V Concept: General Motors unveils an electric scooter!
General Motors, along with their Chinese partner Shanghai Automotive Industry Corp. (SAIC), have unveiled their new concept vehicle – the EN-V – which they say is an electric car for urban areas. However, since the EN-V rides on just two wheels, we suppose it would only be fair to call it a fully enclosed electric scooter…
The GM EN-V (short for Electric Networked-Vehicle) two-wheeled, two-seater electric vehicle was shown in three flavours – Jiao (Pride), Miao (Magic) and Xiao (Laugh). All three concepts will be on display at the World Expo 2010 in Shanghai, which starts on the 1st of May this year.
‘The EN-V reinvents the automobile through the convergence of electrification and connectivity. It provides an ideal solution for urban mobility that enables future driving to be free from petroleum and emissions, free from congestion and accidents, and more fun and fashionable than ever before,’ says Kevin Wale, President and MD, GM China Group.
Based on a platform that was co-developed by Segway, the GM EN-V is powered by electric motors fitted in each of its two wheels. The vehicle uses ‘dynamic stabilization technology’ developed by Segway and remains upright on its own, without its occupants having to worry about the vehicle’s stability.
Power for the EN-V’s motors comes from a lithium-ion battery pack, which provides a range of at least 40km on one full charge. With GPS, onboard cameras and distance-sensing technologies, the EN-V can ‘see,’ sense what’s around it and drive itself – just punch in the coordinates of the place you want to go, and it’ll take you there. Probably.
While the GM EN-V is, of course, only a concept vehicle, we do believe it’s vehicles like these that will be the future of urban transport, especially in super-crowded cities in Europe and Asia. We actually wouldn’t mind one of these self-driving thingies for pottering around town, though we would, of course, still keep the S1000RR for Sunday mornings… :-)
- ► 2016 (135)
- ► 2015 (89)
- ► 2014 (113)
- ► 2013 (157)
- ► 2012 (284)
- ► 2011 (182)
- Gabriele Del Torchio: ‘Our mission is to be the le...
- 2010 Suzuki GSX1250FA riding impression
- 2011 Aprilia Tuareg to be unveiled in Milan this y...
- EN-V Concept: General Motors unveils an electric s...
- Scomadi Turismo Leggera 250 runs wild…
- Faster and Faster: Join us on Facebook
- Buell 1125R-based Magpul Ronin looks magnificent!
- Honda motorcycles top reliability study in the UK
- Dougie Lampkin tears up Lord March's estate
- Doug Polen to offer tuition to Ducati buyers in th...
- 2010 Zero S, DS, X and MX announced
- 25th Anniversary Suzuki GSX-R600 unveiled in the U...
- Dustbin fairings and motorcycle racing: Where’s th...
- 2010 Yamaha FZ8, Fazer8: Official pics, specs rele...
- Brand-new Honda NR750, RC30 to go on display at St...
- 2010 Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade riding impression
- Van Harten BMW S1000RR Carbon Edition: More power,...
- UK riders could win freebikes, special Yamaha R1
- Voxan concept bikes by Enzyme: What might have bee...
- Motorcycles in Music: The best videos ever
- Eddie Lawson, Ben Spies talk about bikes, technolo...
- Nelis 1000R: Suzuki TL1000R-based Special from the...
- 1997 Suzuki TL1000S streetfighter
- Ducati Multistrada 1200: More pics, details, video...
- Ducati Desmosedici RR trike concept
- Martin Jetpack: Your very own V4-engined personal ...
- Buell 1190RR unveiled
- MotoCzysz launches p-n-p 100bhp electric powertrai...
- Go take a Yike!
- ▼ March (29)
- ► 2009 (345)
- ► 2008 (479)
- ► 2007 (430)
2WD AC Schnitzer AJS Akrapovic all-wheel-drive Alpinestars AMG Aprilia Ariel Audi Avinton Bajaj Barry Sheene Benelli Bianchi Bimota BMW Bosch Brammo Brembo Britten BSA Buell Bultaco Cagiva Campagna Can-Am Carver Casey Stoner Caterham Chinese bikes Classics Concept Bike Confederate CRandS Custom-built Dainese Derbi Diesel Ducati Eddie Lawson EICMA 2008 EICMA 2009 EICMA 2012 EICMA 2013 EICMA 2014 EICMA 2015 EICMA 2016 Electric Ferrari Fischer flying machines Freddie Spencer Giacomo Agostini Gilera Harley-Davidson Helmets Henderson Hero Motocorp Hesketh Honda Horex Husqvarna Hybrid Hyosung Ilmor Indian Intermot 2012 Intermot 2014 Intermot 2016 Interviews Isle of Man TT Jawa Jay Leno Jeremy Burgess Kawasaki Kevin Schwantz KTM Lamborghini Lambretta Laverda Lazareth Lotus Mahindra Malaguti Markus Hofmann McLaren Mercedes-Benz Mick Doohan Midual Millepercento Mission Motors Mondial Morbidelli Morgan Moriwaki Moto Guzzi Moto Morini Moto2 Moto3 MotoCzysz MotoGP MotoGP-2007 MotoGP-2008 MotoGP-2009 MotoGP-2010 Motorcycle Design Motus MTT MV Agusta MZ News Nissan Norton NSU Peraves Petronas Peugeot Photography Piaggio Porsche Quad Renard Renault Riding Impressions Roehr Ronax Ronin Rotary Royal Enfield Scooters Segway Shootouts Short Films Skills Specials stunt riding Supercharged Suter Suzuki Toyota Travel trike Triumph Turbo TVS Two-stroke Ural V10 V12 V4 V6 V8 Valentino Rossi Velocette Vespa Victory Vincent Volkswagen Voxan Vyrus Wakan Wayne Gardner Wayne Rainey Wunderlich Yamaha Yoshimura Zagato