Friday, March 05, 2010
Nelis 1000R: Suzuki TL1000R-based Special from the Netherlands
It’s funny how some things work out. Yesterday we wrote about a Suzuki TL1000S-based streetfighter from the US, and today we have a TL1000R-based special from the Netherlands! The bike has been built by one Mathijn Nelis, who worked with the famous motorcycle chassis specialist Nico Bakker to create this machine, which he’s named the Nelis 1000R.
‘It was never the plan to build a complete motorcycle. I thought I’d build a frame and rear swingarm and use standard bodywork from other bikes. Nico still had a new TL1000R engine and loads of spare parts in stock, so the choice was easy,’ said Mathijn, when we asked him why he chose a Suzuki TL as the base for the Nelis 1000R.
I realy liked the curved lines on the Kenny Roberts' flattracker – that was my biggest source of inspiration while building the bike. It was all about being different from the others. This was my first bike and I had an open mind. I took Nico’s help and asked him a lot of questions. Effectively, I worked a full year to master the basic craft of bike building,’ says Mathijn.
We asked Mathijn if he prefers naked bikes over fully-faired ones and he tells us he likes both. ‘I can't really choose. I really like a nice fully-faired bike like the new special edition GSX-R, but a nicely built naked, with well crafted parts on it, I find just as interesting,’ he says.
‘Bikes will get better, cheaper and more beautiful every year. CAD is taking over the whole design and engineering process. Complex forms are getting easier to produce, so production bikes are getting closer to prototypes, which I believe is a good thing,’ says Mathijn.
Mathijn will soon start work on creating a replica of the BMW Lo Rider concept bike and to finance his next project, he’s looking to sell the Nelis 1000R. He’s asking for 40,000 euros for the bike and those who may be interested in buying it can visit his website for more details, or write to him on email@example.com
- ► 2016 (135)
- ► 2015 (89)
- ► 2014 (113)
- ► 2013 (157)
- ► 2012 (284)
- ► 2011 (182)
- Gabriele Del Torchio: ‘Our mission is to be the le...
- 2010 Suzuki GSX1250FA riding impression
- 2011 Aprilia Tuareg to be unveiled in Milan this y...
- EN-V Concept: General Motors unveils an electric s...
- Scomadi Turismo Leggera 250 runs wild…
- Faster and Faster: Join us on Facebook
- Buell 1125R-based Magpul Ronin looks magnificent!
- Honda motorcycles top reliability study in the UK
- Dougie Lampkin tears up Lord March's estate
- Doug Polen to offer tuition to Ducati buyers in th...
- 2010 Zero S, DS, X and MX announced
- 25th Anniversary Suzuki GSX-R600 unveiled in the U...
- Dustbin fairings and motorcycle racing: Where’s th...
- 2010 Yamaha FZ8, Fazer8: Official pics, specs rele...
- Brand-new Honda NR750, RC30 to go on display at St...
- 2010 Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade riding impression
- Van Harten BMW S1000RR Carbon Edition: More power,...
- UK riders could win freebikes, special Yamaha R1
- Voxan concept bikes by Enzyme: What might have bee...
- Motorcycles in Music: The best videos ever
- Eddie Lawson, Ben Spies talk about bikes, technolo...
- Nelis 1000R: Suzuki TL1000R-based Special from the...
- 1997 Suzuki TL1000S streetfighter
- Ducati Multistrada 1200: More pics, details, video...
- Ducati Desmosedici RR trike concept
- Martin Jetpack: Your very own V4-engined personal ...
- Buell 1190RR unveiled
- MotoCzysz launches p-n-p 100bhp electric powertrai...
- Go take a Yike!
- ▼ March (29)
- ► 2009 (345)
- ► 2008 (479)
- ► 2007 (430)
2WD AC Schnitzer AJS Akrapovic all-wheel-drive Alpinestars AMG Aprilia Ariel Audi Avinton Bajaj Barry Sheene Benelli Bianchi Bimota BMW Bosch Brammo Brembo Britten BSA Buell Bultaco Cagiva Campagna Can-Am Carver Casey Stoner Caterham Chinese bikes Classics Concept Bike Confederate CRandS Custom-built Dainese Derbi Diesel Ducati Eddie Lawson EICMA 2008 EICMA 2009 EICMA 2012 EICMA 2013 EICMA 2014 EICMA 2015 EICMA 2016 Electric Ferrari Fischer flying machines Freddie Spencer Giacomo Agostini Gilera Harley-Davidson Helmets Henderson Hero Motocorp Hesketh Honda Horex Husqvarna Hybrid Hyosung Ilmor Indian Intermot 2012 Intermot 2014 Intermot 2016 Interviews Isle of Man TT Jawa Jay Leno Jeremy Burgess Kawasaki Kevin Schwantz KTM Lamborghini Lambretta Laverda Lazareth Lotus Mahindra Malaguti Markus Hofmann McLaren Mercedes-Benz Mick Doohan Midual Millepercento Mission Motors Mondial Morbidelli Morgan Moriwaki Moto Guzzi Moto Morini Moto2 Moto3 MotoCzysz MotoGP MotoGP-2007 MotoGP-2008 MotoGP-2009 MotoGP-2010 Motorcycle Design Motus MTT MV Agusta MZ News Nissan Norton NSU Peraves Petronas Peugeot Photography Piaggio Porsche Quad Renard Renault Riding Impressions Roehr Ronax Ronin Rotary Royal Enfield Scooters Segway Shootouts Short Films Skills Specials stunt riding Supercharged Suter Suzuki Toyota Travel trike Triumph Turbo TVS Two-stroke Ural V10 V12 V4 V6 V8 Valentino Rossi Velocette Vespa Victory Vincent Volkswagen Voxan Vyrus Wakan Wayne Gardner Wayne Rainey Wunderlich Yamaha Yoshimura Zagato