Tuesday, October 05, 2010
2011 BMW K1600GT, GTL: First official pics, specs, video
The all-new super-tourer from BMW, with its six-cylinder engine and more techno-wizardry than you’d find at the World Electronics Forum, has to be a complicated machine all right. So much so that to explain the K1600GT/GTL’s dark mysteries, BMW have had to issue a press release that packs more than 12,500 words. That’s a lot of words, so what we’ve tried to do is distil those into a few paragraphs that tell you all that you really need to know.
Right, the numbers. The BMW K1600GT (and the K1600GTL, which is even better equipped for long-distance touring) is fitted with a 1,649cc inline-six engine that produces 160 horsepower at 7,750rpm and 175Nm of torque at 5,250rpm. Despite being a six-cylinder engine, the K1600’s mill is relatively light, slim and narrow, which keeps the rig manageable for riders.
There’s Dynamic Traction Control (DTC), three riding modes (rain, road and dynamic), ride-by-wire throttle control, light alloy bridge-type frame with Duolever/Paralever suspension, electronic suspension adjustment (ESA II, with sport, normal and comfort settings), integral ABS, adaptive headlights with pitch and banking angle compensation, and an automotive-style ‘Multi-Controller’ for operating the big BMW's instrument console.
Touring-specific creature comforts include an electrically adjusted windshield, optional satnav, height-adjustable rider’s seat, iPod compatible MP3 audio system and heated grips and seat. The K1600GT comes with side-mounted panniers and the GTL comes with... er, more panniers. Fully loaded, with fuel and panniers etc., the GTL weighs in at close to 350 kilos, so you probably wouldn’t be able to keep up with Miss Busa if you are riding one of these things.
BMW claim the K1600GT accelerates from zero to 100km/h in 3.2 seconds and from a standing start, covers one kilometre in 21.4 seconds. Top speed is in excess of 200km/h, which it damn well should be since the bike is fitted with 160bhp six-cylinder engine.
Honestly, we have to say we find the K1600GT/GTL quite boring. If it was our bike, we’d take that six-cylinder engine and bolt it on to a naked bike – to something like the K1300R. Yes, a BMW K1600R. Hmmm, now that would be interesting!
- ► 2016 (135)
- ► 2015 (89)
- ► 2014 (113)
- ► 2013 (157)
- ► 2012 (284)
- ► 2011 (182)
- Benelli to celebrate 100th Anniversary at the 2010...
- 2011 Honda CBR250R: First official pics, specs
- Rage Designs: Casey Stoner replica Ducati Desmosed...
- Ducati 9½: A tribute to Ducati’s racing singles
- Wunderlich F800GS Light, optimised for off-road us...
- Rochelle Gilmore: Lotto Honda rider wins gold meda...
- 2011 Ducati Diavel: First official photograph
- 2010 INTERMOT photo gallery
- Freddie Spencer: “In no way do I feel I’m not fort...
- AFG Moto Ducati 1198: ‘Carbon Lifeform’
- Wunderlich BMW S1000RR Piranha: It bites!
- 2011 Horex VR6: Germany lets loose with supercharg...
- 2011 KTM 1190 RC8R Track: Ready to Race. For real
- 2011 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC Special Edition: Bi...
- 2011 Kawasaki Z1000SX: Performance, practicality
- 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R: 207bhp with ram-air!
- 2011 Suzuki GSR750, GSX-R750, GSX-R600: First offi...
- 2011 Ducati 1198 SP, 848 Evo: Official pics, specs...
- 2011 BMW K1600GT, GTL: First official pics, specs,...
- 2011 Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade, VFR1200F, CBR600RR...
- ▼ October (20)
- ► 2009 (345)
- ► 2008 (479)
- ► 2007 (430)
2WD AC Schnitzer AJS Akrapovic all-wheel-drive Alpinestars AMG Aprilia Ariel Audi Avinton Bajaj Barry Sheene Benelli Bianchi Bimota BMW Bosch Brammo Brembo Britten BSA Buell Bultaco Cagiva Campagna Can-Am Carver Casey Stoner Caterham Chinese bikes Classics Concept Bike Confederate CRandS Custom-built Dainese Derbi Diesel Ducati Eddie Lawson EICMA 2008 EICMA 2009 EICMA 2012 EICMA 2013 EICMA 2014 EICMA 2015 EICMA 2016 Electric Ferrari Fischer flying machines Freddie Spencer Giacomo Agostini Gilera Harley-Davidson Helmets Henderson Hero Motocorp Hesketh Honda Horex Husqvarna Hybrid Hyosung Ilmor Indian Intermot 2012 Intermot 2014 Intermot 2016 Interviews Isle of Man TT Jawa Jay Leno Jeremy Burgess Kawasaki Kevin Schwantz KTM Lamborghini Lambretta Laverda Lazareth Lotus Mahindra Malaguti Markus Hofmann McLaren Mercedes-Benz Mick Doohan Midual Millepercento Mission Motors Mondial Morbidelli Morgan Moriwaki Moto Guzzi Moto Morini Moto2 Moto3 MotoCzysz MotoGP MotoGP-2007 MotoGP-2008 MotoGP-2009 MotoGP-2010 Motorcycle Design Motus MTT MV Agusta MZ News Nissan Norton NSU Peraves Petronas Peugeot Photography Piaggio Porsche Quad Renard Renault Riding Impressions Roehr Ronax Ronin Rotary Royal Enfield Scooters Segway Shootouts Short Films Skills Specials stunt riding Supercharged Suter Suzuki Toyota Travel trike Triumph Turbo TVS Two-stroke Ural V10 V12 V4 V6 V8 Valentino Rossi Velocette Vespa Victory Vincent Volkswagen Voxan Vyrus Wakan Wayne Gardner Wayne Rainey Wunderlich Yamaha Yoshimura Zagato