Saturday, April 16, 2011
EBR 1190RS: Stick it to ’em, Erik
Buell is no more, long live Erik Buell Racing (EBR). You just can’t keep some people down for very long. Harley-Davidson, in their infinite wisdom, chose to shut down the Buell Motorcycle Company, pretty much the only American company that made sportsbikes. But within two years, Erik Buell is back and he’s back with a bike that looks like it has the potential to blow the mirrors off the competition.
We are, of course, talking about the EBR 1190RS Carbon Edition that you see here, which is fitted with a 1190cc liquid-cooled fuel-injected V-twin engine from Rotax, heavily modified by EBR. Titanium valves, cams from the erstwhile Buell 1125RR superbike, conrods forged from high quality steel, lightweight pistons and a new airbox with almost twice the capacity compared to a Buell 1125R. With a wet weight of about 180 kilos and a power output of around 170-180bhp, the EBR 1190RS has been built to kick arse.
The EBR 1190RS will be raced for the first time in the US next month in the AMA Superbikes series and the street version is expected to go on sale by the end of this year. The 1190RS Carbon Edition, only 100 units of which will be built, is expected to be priced at more than US$40,000 though Erik Buell might do a cheaper ‘regular’ version of the bike later, perhaps in 2012.
We love the EBR 1190RS. Regardless of whether or not it does well in AMA Superbikes (and there seems to be no reason why it shouldn't do very well indeed...), the bike is living, breathing proof of the fact that with perseverance and hard work, any dream can be made to come true. Bravo!
- ► 2016 (135)
- ► 2015 (89)
- ► 2014 (113)
- ► 2013 (157)
- ► 2012 (284)
- 2011 Portuguese MotoGP: Pics from Estoril
- 2011 Honda CBR600F riding impression
- Jeremy Burgess: ‘Winning a MotoGP world championsh...
- BMW to have ABS as standard equipment on all their...
- Kevin Schwantz: "The good guys are still winning.....
- Miami Vice: Scorpion P6 Turbo
- 2012 Moto Guzzi Norge GT 8V: Tour hard
- 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 8V, NTX: No Limits
- EBR 1190RS: Stick it to ’em, Erik
- Motocross vs Roadracing: The stars speak out
- Rok Bagoroš, KTM 125 Duke team up
- Derbi GPR50: The best of what’s left
- Aprilia Tuono V4R APRC: One badass streetfighter
- Roman Parade marks Vespa’s 65th Anniversary
- TW Steel: The time of Mick Doohan
- MotoGP riders get Poker-faced in Jerez
- Valentino Rossi tests the Ducati Desmosedici GP12 ...
- 2012 Ducati Monster 1100 Evo launched
- 2011 Spanish MotoGP: High-res pics from Jerez
- MV Agusta F4 RR: 200bhp, 320kph Italian missile co...
- ▼ April (20)
- ► 2010 (196)
- ► 2009 (345)
- ► 2008 (479)
- ► 2007 (430)
2WD AC Schnitzer AJS Akrapovic all-wheel-drive Alpinestars AMG Aprilia Ariel Audi Avinton Bajaj Barry Sheene Benelli Bianchi Bimota BMW Bosch Brammo Brembo Britten BSA Buell Bultaco Cagiva Campagna Can-Am Carver Casey Stoner Caterham Chinese bikes Classics Concept Bike Confederate CRandS Custom-built Dainese Derbi Diesel Ducati Eddie Lawson EICMA 2008 EICMA 2009 EICMA 2012 EICMA 2013 EICMA 2014 EICMA 2015 EICMA 2016 Electric Ferrari Fischer flying machines Freddie Spencer Giacomo Agostini Gilera Harley-Davidson Helmets Henderson Hero Motocorp Hesketh Honda Horex Husqvarna Hybrid Hyosung Ilmor Indian Intermot 2012 Intermot 2014 Intermot 2016 Interviews Isle of Man TT Jawa Jay Leno Jeremy Burgess Kawasaki Kevin Schwantz KTM Lamborghini Lambretta Laverda Lazareth Lotus Mahindra Malaguti Markus Hofmann McLaren Mercedes-Benz Mick Doohan Midual Millepercento Mission Motors Mondial Morbidelli Morgan Moriwaki Moto Guzzi Moto Morini Moto2 Moto3 MotoCzysz MotoGP MotoGP-2007 MotoGP-2008 MotoGP-2009 MotoGP-2010 Motorcycle Design Motus MTT MV Agusta MZ News Nissan Norton NSU Peraves Petronas Peugeot Photography Piaggio Porsche Quad Renard Renault Riding Impressions Roehr Ronax Ronin Rotary Royal Enfield Scooters Segway Shootouts Short Films Skills Specials stunt riding Supercharged Suter Suzuki Toyota Travel trike Triumph Turbo TVS Two-stroke Ural V10 V12 V4 V6 V8 Valentino Rossi Velocette Vespa Victory Vincent Volkswagen Voxan Vyrus Wakan Wayne Gardner Wayne Rainey Wunderlich Yamaha Yoshimura Zagato