Friday, April 29, 2011
Jeremy Burgess: ‘Winning a MotoGP world championship is our intent!’
ZigWheels recently caught up with master tuner Jeremy Burgess, who moved with Valentino Rossi from Yamaha to Ducati and who’s now faced with the unenviable task of transforming the Ducati Desmosedici GP11 into a race winning machine. Or rather, more specifically, a machine which Valentino Rossi can win races on. Here are some excerpts from what Jeremy had to say:
On what racing means to the Japanese factories
If it was not for our success at Yamaha, there was every chance the racing effort would have received a massive chopping of funds, if not shutting down the race shop for good. Yamaha and Honda are in the business of selling motorcycles. Racing is something they do when they can afford it.
On what MotoGP means to Ducati
Everyone I’ve met at Ducati is young and full of zest. Filippo Preziosi [who heads Ducati Corse] has racing 24 hours in his thought process. The entire racing department is self-funding, whether it be by leasing bikes to satellite teams, the Marlboro money plus other high-profile sponsorship deals, mirroring the approach Ferrari has in place for F1. It’s not a drain on the factory’s resources while being a huge asset.
On what he and Valentino Rossi hope to accomplish at Ducati
Winning world championships and developing a motorcycle that anyone can ride – that is both our challenge as well as our intent. Everything has been mapped out and we will try to tailor the bike to Rossi’s preferred riding style. Much will depend on how quickly we can do that.
On what it would take for the Suzuki GSV-R to start winning MotoGP races again
I could make that Suzuki into a winning motorcycle. All it would take is for us to have the right rider on it, giving precise feedback, to a company willing to listen and respond to these inputs.
- ► 2016 (135)
- ► 2015 (89)
- ► 2014 (113)
- ► 2013 (157)
- ► 2012 (284)
- 2011 Portuguese MotoGP: Pics from Estoril
- 2011 Honda CBR600F riding impression
- Jeremy Burgess: ‘Winning a MotoGP world championsh...
- BMW to have ABS as standard equipment on all their...
- Kevin Schwantz: "The good guys are still winning.....
- Miami Vice: Scorpion P6 Turbo
- 2012 Moto Guzzi Norge GT 8V: Tour hard
- 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 8V, NTX: No Limits
- EBR 1190RS: Stick it to ’em, Erik
- Motocross vs Roadracing: The stars speak out
- Rok Bagoroš, KTM 125 Duke team up
- Derbi GPR50: The best of what’s left
- Aprilia Tuono V4R APRC: One badass streetfighter
- Roman Parade marks Vespa’s 65th Anniversary
- TW Steel: The time of Mick Doohan
- MotoGP riders get Poker-faced in Jerez
- Valentino Rossi tests the Ducati Desmosedici GP12 ...
- 2012 Ducati Monster 1100 Evo launched
- 2011 Spanish MotoGP: High-res pics from Jerez
- MV Agusta F4 RR: 200bhp, 320kph Italian missile co...
- ▼ April (20)
- ► 2010 (196)
- ► 2009 (345)
- ► 2008 (479)
- ► 2007 (430)
2WD AC Schnitzer AJS Akrapovic all-wheel-drive Alpinestars AMG Aprilia Ariel Audi Avinton Bajaj Barry Sheene Benelli Bianchi Bimota BMW Bosch Brammo Brembo Britten BSA Buell Bultaco Cagiva Campagna Can-Am Carver Casey Stoner Caterham Chinese bikes Classics Concept Bike Confederate CRandS Custom-built Dainese Derbi Diesel Ducati Eddie Lawson EICMA 2008 EICMA 2009 EICMA 2012 EICMA 2013 EICMA 2014 EICMA 2015 EICMA 2016 Electric Ferrari Fischer flying machines Freddie Spencer Giacomo Agostini Gilera Harley-Davidson Helmets Henderson Hero Motocorp Hesketh Honda Horex Husqvarna Hybrid Hyosung Ilmor Indian Intermot 2012 Intermot 2014 Intermot 2016 Interviews Isle of Man TT Jawa Jay Leno Jeremy Burgess Kawasaki Kevin Schwantz KTM Lamborghini Lambretta Laverda Lazareth Lotus Mahindra Malaguti Markus Hofmann McLaren Mercedes-Benz Mick Doohan Midual Millepercento Mission Motors Mondial Morbidelli Morgan Moriwaki Moto Guzzi Moto Morini Moto2 Moto3 MotoCzysz MotoGP MotoGP-2007 MotoGP-2008 MotoGP-2009 MotoGP-2010 Motorcycle Design Motus MTT MV Agusta MZ News Nissan Norton NSU Peraves Petronas Peugeot Photography Piaggio Porsche Quad Renard Renault Riding Impressions Roehr Ronax Ronin Rotary Royal Enfield Scooters Segway Shootouts Short Films Skills Specials stunt riding Supercharged Suter Suzuki Toyota Travel trike Triumph Turbo TVS Two-stroke Ural V10 V12 V4 V6 V8 Valentino Rossi Velocette Vespa Victory Vincent Volkswagen Voxan Vyrus Wakan Wayne Gardner Wayne Rainey Wunderlich Yamaha Yoshimura Zagato