Wednesday, April 13, 2011
Roman Parade marks Vespa’s 65th Anniversary
Piaggio is celebrating Vespa’s 65th Anniversary this year, a milestone that was marked with a recent parade of Vespa scooters through the city of Rome. More than 17 million Vespa scooters have been sold worldwide in the last 65 years, making it one of the most successful vehicles made anywhere on the planet.
Piaggio sold an impressive 133,000 Vespa scooters in 2010, a nine percent hike over sales in 2009. Given that 50,000 Vespa scooters were sold in 2003, the current sales figure is definitely impressive, especially given that there is no dearth of cheaper competition from countries like Japan, China, Korea, Taiwan and many others.
The Vespa success story is set to get bigger in 2012, with the Italian brand re-entering India, the second largest market in the world for powered two-wheelers. The Indian market is currently dominated by Honda and Suzuki scooters, and Vespa could give them a run for their money from next year onwards.
- ► 2016 (135)
- ► 2015 (89)
- ► 2014 (113)
- ► 2013 (157)
- ► 2012 (284)
- 2011 Portuguese MotoGP: Pics from Estoril
- 2011 Honda CBR600F riding impression
- Jeremy Burgess: ‘Winning a MotoGP world championsh...
- BMW to have ABS as standard equipment on all their...
- Kevin Schwantz: "The good guys are still winning.....
- Miami Vice: Scorpion P6 Turbo
- 2012 Moto Guzzi Norge GT 8V: Tour hard
- 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 8V, NTX: No Limits
- EBR 1190RS: Stick it to ’em, Erik
- Motocross vs Roadracing: The stars speak out
- Rok Bagoroš, KTM 125 Duke team up
- Derbi GPR50: The best of what’s left
- Aprilia Tuono V4R APRC: One badass streetfighter
- Roman Parade marks Vespa’s 65th Anniversary
- TW Steel: The time of Mick Doohan
- MotoGP riders get Poker-faced in Jerez
- Valentino Rossi tests the Ducati Desmosedici GP12 ...
- 2012 Ducati Monster 1100 Evo launched
- 2011 Spanish MotoGP: High-res pics from Jerez
- MV Agusta F4 RR: 200bhp, 320kph Italian missile co...
- ▼ April (20)
- ► 2010 (196)
- ► 2009 (345)
- ► 2008 (479)
- ► 2007 (430)
2WD AC Schnitzer AJS Akrapovic all-wheel-drive Alpinestars AMG Aprilia Ariel Audi Avinton Bajaj Barry Sheene Benelli Bianchi Bimota BMW Bosch Brammo Brembo Britten BSA Buell Bultaco Cagiva Campagna Can-Am Carver Casey Stoner Caterham Chinese bikes Classics Concept Bike Confederate CRandS Custom-built Dainese Derbi Diesel Ducati Eddie Lawson EICMA 2008 EICMA 2009 EICMA 2012 EICMA 2013 EICMA 2014 EICMA 2015 EICMA 2016 Electric Ferrari Fischer flying machines Freddie Spencer Giacomo Agostini Gilera Harley-Davidson Helmets Henderson Hero Motocorp Hesketh Honda Horex Husqvarna Hybrid Hyosung Ilmor Indian Intermot 2012 Intermot 2014 Intermot 2016 Interviews Isle of Man TT Jawa Jay Leno Jeremy Burgess Kawasaki Kevin Schwantz KTM Lamborghini Lambretta Laverda Lazareth Lotus Mahindra Malaguti Markus Hofmann McLaren Mercedes-Benz Mick Doohan Midual Millepercento Mission Motors Mondial Morbidelli Morgan Moriwaki Moto Guzzi Moto Morini Moto2 Moto3 MotoCzysz MotoGP MotoGP-2007 MotoGP-2008 MotoGP-2009 MotoGP-2010 Motorcycle Design Motus MTT MV Agusta MZ News Nissan Norton NSU Peraves Petronas Peugeot Photography Piaggio Porsche Quad Renard Renault Riding Impressions Roehr Ronax Ronin Rotary Royal Enfield Scooters Segway Shootouts Short Films Skills Specials stunt riding Supercharged Suter Suzuki Toyota Travel trike Triumph Turbo TVS Two-stroke Ural V10 V12 V4 V6 V8 Valentino Rossi Velocette Vespa Victory Vincent Volkswagen Voxan Vyrus Wakan Wayne Gardner Wayne Rainey Wunderlich Yamaha Yoshimura Zagato