Friday, June 03, 2011
KTM, Kalex to enter Moto3 in 2012
KTM have announced that their program for re-entering MotoGP in the new Moto3 class is on schedule – the company will have a team in Moto3 in 2012, in partnership with the Germany-based Kalex Engineering.
KTM’s Moto3 bike is being developed in-house by the company’s motorsports department in Mattighofen, Austria, and KTM engineer Wolfgang Felber is heading the team that’s working on the new racing bike. KTM will also supply engines to Kalex, whose bike is expected to be slightly different from the one developed by KTM. (Both bikes will be fitted with the same 250cc single-cylinder engine developed by KTM, but the KTM-Kalex bike is likely to have a different chassis and different suspension and braking components.)
Which riders will ride these KTM and KTM-Kalex Moto3 bikes hasn’t been decided yet, but that decision is likely to be taken within the next few weeks. ‘We approach our entry into the Moto3 class with confidence. Our own plans are right on schedule for a racing bike completely developed in Mattighofen, while at the same time we have also found the best possible partner, who will present our engine at a very high and professional level. Kalex Engineering is well positioned for this in every way and just like KTM is highly motivated to develop a bike capable of winning in the new Moto3 category,’ says Pit Beirer, who heads KTM Motorsports.
‘The exclusive partnership with KTM as supplier of engines is a big step forward for us. As we already have a good insight into the construction of the new KTM Moto3 engine, we feel certain that we have the best basis for the drive system for our own racing motorcycle. With this combination we can continue to build on the success we have enjoyed in the Moto2 class. We are very much looking forward to the development and the 2012 season,’ adds Alex Baumgärtel, Managing Director, Kalex Engineering.
- ► 2016 (135)
- ► 2015 (89)
- ► 2014 (113)
- ► 2013 (157)
- ► 2012 (284)
- Icon Sheene to make an appearance at the 2011 Chol...
- Yamaha 50th Anniversary celebrations to continue a...
- Memorable: 1992 Honda CBR900RR FireBlade
- Valentino Rossi to ride the Ducati GP11.1 at Assen...
- Aprilia lets loose with SR Max hotness
- Yamaha’s 50th Anniversary special edition YZR-M1: ...
- 2012 Erik Buell Racing 1190RS: High-res pics, spec...
- British Exotica: 1939 supercharged AJS 500 V4
- 2011 Benelli TNT R160 now available
- 2011 British MotoGP: High-res pics from Silverston...
- Benelli TNT 899 and TNT 1130 Century Racers launch...
- Nicky Hayden ‘experiences’ the Isle of Man
- John McGuinness secures 16th IoM TT victory
- 2012 Honda NSF250R vs 1992 Honda NSR250R
- 2011 Catalan MotoGP: High-res pics from Catalunya
- KTM, Kalex to enter Moto3 in 2012
- Ducati 1198 ridden and signed by Valentino Rossi t...
- 2011 Aprilia RS4 125, RS4 50 announced
- Yamaha YZR-M1 roams the streets of Barcelona
- ▼ June (19)
- ► 2010 (196)
- ► 2009 (345)
- ► 2008 (479)
- ► 2007 (430)
2WD AC Schnitzer AJS Akrapovic all-wheel-drive Alpinestars AMG Aprilia Ariel Audi Avinton Bajaj Barry Sheene Benelli Bianchi Bimota BMW Bosch Brammo Brembo Britten BSA Buell Bultaco Cagiva Campagna Can-Am Carver Casey Stoner Caterham Chinese bikes Classics Concept Bike Confederate CRandS Custom-built Dainese Derbi Diesel Ducati Eddie Lawson EICMA 2008 EICMA 2009 EICMA 2012 EICMA 2013 EICMA 2014 EICMA 2015 EICMA 2016 Electric Ferrari Fischer flying machines Freddie Spencer Giacomo Agostini Gilera Harley-Davidson Helmets Henderson Hero Motocorp Hesketh Honda Horex Husqvarna Hybrid Hyosung Ilmor Indian Intermot 2012 Intermot 2014 Intermot 2016 Interviews Isle of Man TT Jawa Jay Leno Jeremy Burgess Kawasaki Kevin Schwantz KTM Lamborghini Lambretta Laverda Lazareth Lotus Mahindra Malaguti Markus Hofmann McLaren Mercedes-Benz Mick Doohan Midual Millepercento Mission Motors Mondial Morbidelli Morgan Moriwaki Moto Guzzi Moto Morini Moto2 Moto3 MotoCzysz MotoGP MotoGP-2007 MotoGP-2008 MotoGP-2009 MotoGP-2010 Motorcycle Design Motus MTT MV Agusta MZ News Nissan Norton NSU Peraves Petronas Peugeot Photography Piaggio Porsche Quad Renard Renault Riding Impressions Roehr Ronax Ronin Rotary Royal Enfield Scooters Segway Shootouts Short Films Skills Specials stunt riding Supercharged Suter Suzuki Toyota Travel trike Triumph Turbo TVS Two-stroke Ural V10 V12 V4 V6 V8 Valentino Rossi Velocette Vespa Victory Vincent Volkswagen Voxan Vyrus Wakan Wayne Gardner Wayne Rainey Wunderlich Yamaha Yoshimura Zagato