Friday, September 16, 2011
‘King’ Kenny Roberts takes us back to 1980
A lot was happening back in 1980. Ronald Reagan was running a Presidential campaign in the US, NASA’s Voyager I space probe was getting close to Saturn, Pink Floyd, Olivia Newton-John, Michael Jackson, Lipps Inc., Elton John, Diana Ross, Billy Joel and Queen were making music, John Lennon was shot dead and Yoda and pals took on Darth Vader as The Empire Struck Back.
In other significant developments, in 1980, Brooke Shields was frolicking around in the Blue Lagoon, Robert De Niro was a Raging Bull, Björn Borg beat John McEnroe and Kristen Bell and Gisele Bundchen were born. Average annual incomes in the US were a bit less than $20,000, petrol cost about 30 cents a litre, an average new car cost $7,000, Iran and Iraq started fighting (and have been at it ever since...), Japan became the world’s largest automobile producing nation, Pac-Man made its first appearance, CNN became the first 24-hour TV news station and the first fax machines and domestic camcorders were launched in Japan.
In that same year, the 500cc motorcycle grand prix roadracing world championship was won by ‘King’ Kenny Roberts. Now approaching 60 years of age, The King still hasn’t slowed down much. The video here (above), where Kenny rides his 1980 Yamaha YZR500 at Laguna Seca, makes us want to stand up and cheer for him all over again. The 1980s. Man, those were the days.
- ► 2016 (135)
- ► 2015 (89)
- ► 2014 (113)
- ► 2013 (157)
- ► 2012 (284)
- Honda facility at Twin Ring Motegi has Yamahas on ...
- Honda develops new 670cc engine, next-gen DCT for ...
- Here's your chance to win a Tron LightCycle!
- 2012 Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade: Official pics, spe...
- 2012 Honda CBR600RR announced
- 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale announced
- Ford unveils E-Bike Concept
- Lit Motors C1: The uncrashable scooter
- 20,000 Moto Guzzi fans celebrate the company’s 90t...
- 2012 Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade to get fly-by-wire ...
- ‘King’ Kenny Roberts takes us back to 1980
- 2012 Yamaha YZF-R1 announced
- Husqvarna Concept E-go revealed
- BMW Concept e unveiled, provides a glimpse of our ...
- 2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848 announced
- Alan Cathcart tests the CR&S Duu
- Shootout: MV Agusta F4 RR vs BMW S1000RR vs Kawasa...
- Yamaha Racing show they haven’t forgotten Wayne Ra...
- Ducati to unveil Diavel AMG Special Edition
- Husqvarna release more details, pics of Nuda 900, ...
- ▼ September (20)
- ► 2010 (196)
- ► 2009 (345)
- ► 2008 (479)
- ► 2007 (430)
2WD AC Schnitzer AJS Akrapovic all-wheel-drive Alpinestars AMG Aprilia Ariel Audi Avinton Bajaj Barry Sheene Benelli Bianchi Bimota BMW Bosch Brammo Brembo Britten BSA Buell Bultaco Cagiva Campagna Can-Am Carver Casey Stoner Caterham Chinese bikes Classics Concept Bike Confederate CRandS Custom-built Dainese Derbi Diesel Ducati Eddie Lawson EICMA 2008 EICMA 2009 EICMA 2012 EICMA 2013 EICMA 2014 EICMA 2015 EICMA 2016 Electric Ferrari Fischer flying machines Freddie Spencer Giacomo Agostini Gilera Harley-Davidson Helmets Henderson Hero Motocorp Hesketh Honda Horex Husqvarna Hybrid Hyosung Ilmor Indian Intermot 2012 Intermot 2014 Intermot 2016 Interviews Isle of Man TT Jawa Jay Leno Jeremy Burgess Kawasaki Kevin Schwantz KTM Lamborghini Lambretta Laverda Lazareth Lotus Mahindra Malaguti Markus Hofmann McLaren Mercedes-Benz Mick Doohan Midual Millepercento Mission Motors Mondial Morbidelli Morgan Moriwaki Moto Guzzi Moto Morini Moto2 Moto3 MotoCzysz MotoGP MotoGP-2007 MotoGP-2008 MotoGP-2009 MotoGP-2010 Motorcycle Design Motus MTT MV Agusta MZ News Nissan Norton NSU Peraves Petronas Peugeot Photography Piaggio Porsche Quad Renard Renault Riding Impressions Roehr Ronax Ronin Rotary Royal Enfield Scooters Segway Shootouts Short Films Skills Specials stunt riding Supercharged Suter Suzuki Toyota Travel trike Triumph Turbo TVS Two-stroke Ural V10 V12 V4 V6 V8 Valentino Rossi Velocette Vespa Victory Vincent Volkswagen Voxan Vyrus Wakan Wayne Gardner Wayne Rainey Wunderlich Yamaha Yoshimura Zagato