Saturday, November 19, 2011
2012 KTM 450 Rally: What it takes to do the Dakar
The KTM 450 Rally, which is fitted with a carburetted single-cylinder engine and which costs an eye-watering 25,000 euros (not including VAT), is probably one of the most amazing competition motorcycles you can buy.
Developed with inputs from Dakar Rally legends like Marc Coma and Cyril Despres, the 2012 KTM 450 Rally is built with single-minded focus – to win the Dakar. The bike is fitted with a chrome-molybdenum chassis, 48mm USD fork and fully adjustable monoshock from WP, five-speed gearbox, multi-disc hydraulically operated wet clutch, 300mm (front) and 250mm (rear) brake discs, 12-litre fuel tank that’s made of plastic, and 21-inch (front) and 18-inch (rear) wheels. Without fuel, the little KTM weighs about 145kg.
KTM have recently been testing the new 450 Rally in the South of France, with Despres and Coma, with the aim being an 11th consecutive victory at the Dakar in 2012. And for some strange reason, we don’t think anyone is going to be able to stop them from getting that race win next year.
- ► 2016 (135)
- ► 2015 (89)
- ► 2014 (113)
- ► 2013 (157)
- ► 2012 (284)
- Husqvarna Concept Strada shown at 2011 Salon de la...
- Piaggio Museum to showcase Corradino D’Ascanio’s w...
- BMW S1000RR in MotoGP: It’s a long road
- Keanu Reeves: The Diavel’s Advocate
- 2012 Yamaha R1: Finding traction once again
- 2012 KTM 450 Rally: What it takes to do the Dakar
- 2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer is the ultimate fashion a...
- Ryno: On one wheel and a prayer
- Honda VFR1200F gets a mild update for 2012
- 2012 KTM 690 Duke: Official pics, specs, video
- Honda RC-E electric sportsbike concept to be unvei...
- 2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer: High-res pics, specs
- 2012 Triumph Speed Triple R: High-res pics, specs
- 2012 Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200, Shiver 750 shown at E...
- 2012 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC unveiled at the EIC...
- Piaggio Group at the 2011 EICMA: High-res picture ...
- 2012 BMW R1200GS Rallye, K1300S HP, K1300R reveale...
- BMW F800R updated for 2012
- 2012 BMW C600 Sport, BMW C650GT: First official pi...
- 2012 Honda Crosstourer: First official pics, specs...
- 2012 Honda NC700S, NC700X: Motorcycling dullness r...
- Husqvarna Concept MOAB pays tribute to Steve McQue...
- Ducati 1199 Panigale: First official pics, specs
- Valentino Rossi pays final tribute to Marco Simonc...
- Tanom Invader TC-3: Hayabusa-powered trike is comi...
- It's Better In The Wind
- 2012 MV Agusta Brutale 675 unveiled
- Dainese D-air Street coming in 2012, will watch yo...
- Husqvarna develop off-road ABS tech
- EBR1190RS doesn’t have traction control, doesn’t n...
- ▼ November (30)
- ► 2010 (196)
- ► 2009 (345)
- ► 2008 (479)
- ► 2007 (430)
2WD AC Schnitzer AJS Akrapovic all-wheel-drive Alpinestars AMG Aprilia Ariel Audi Avinton Bajaj Barry Sheene Benelli Bianchi Bimota BMW Bosch Brammo Brembo Britten BSA Buell Bultaco Cagiva Campagna Can-Am Carver Casey Stoner Caterham Chinese bikes Classics Concept Bike Confederate CRandS Custom-built Dainese Derbi Diesel Ducati Eddie Lawson EICMA 2008 EICMA 2009 EICMA 2012 EICMA 2013 EICMA 2014 EICMA 2015 EICMA 2016 Electric Ferrari Fischer flying machines Freddie Spencer Giacomo Agostini Gilera Harley-Davidson Helmets Henderson Hero Motocorp Hesketh Honda Horex Husqvarna Hybrid Hyosung Ilmor Indian Intermot 2012 Intermot 2014 Intermot 2016 Interviews Isle of Man TT Jawa Jay Leno Jeremy Burgess Kawasaki Kevin Schwantz KTM Lamborghini Lambretta Laverda Lazareth Lotus Mahindra Malaguti Markus Hofmann McLaren Mercedes-Benz Mick Doohan Midual Millepercento Mission Motors Mondial Morbidelli Morgan Moriwaki Moto Guzzi Moto Morini Moto2 Moto3 MotoCzysz MotoGP MotoGP-2007 MotoGP-2008 MotoGP-2009 MotoGP-2010 Motorcycle Design Motus MTT MV Agusta MZ News Nissan Norton NSU Peraves Petronas Peugeot Photography Piaggio Porsche Quad Renard Renault Riding Impressions Roehr Ronax Ronin Rotary Royal Enfield Scooters Segway Shootouts Short Films Skills Specials stunt riding Supercharged Suter Suzuki Toyota Travel trike Triumph Turbo TVS Two-stroke Ural V10 V12 V4 V6 V8 Valentino Rossi Velocette Vespa Victory Vincent Volkswagen Voxan Vyrus Wakan Wayne Gardner Wayne Rainey Wunderlich Yamaha Yoshimura Zagato