Tuesday, November 08, 2011
Ducati 1199 Panigale: First official pics, specs
Ducati have unveiled the all-new 1199 Panigale in a press conference at the Teatro Dal Verme in Milan, Italy. The Panigale, along with Ducati’s entire 2012 range of motorcycles, will be displayed from 10-13 November at EICMA 2011, the 69th edition of the Milan International Motorcycle Show.
‘Thanks to our focus on product development, increased investment and our work to maintain the desirability of our brand around the world, I take great satisfaction in announcing that 2011 has been the most successful year in the history of Ducati,’ said Gabriele Del Torchio, President of Ducati Motor Holding. ‘Sales of approximately 42,000 motorcycles have generated revenues of €480 million, a 20% increase over the previous year. It gives us the confidence to believe in the pillars of our strategy and to continue on our mission to be specialist leaders of the sportbike segment by further developing innovative and class-leading motorcycles,’ he added.
‘The incredible new 1199 Panigale is the new benchmark in the sportbike arena. Without doubt, this has been the most ambitious project in Ducati’s history and underlines our engineering excellence. This motorcycle represents pure Italian style, the reference point for performance and a safety-enhanced, confidence-inspiring experience for our customers on road and track. We are particularly proud to have created a special ‘Tricolore’ version of this new Ducati motorcycle, in the red, white and green of Italy. What better occasion to celebrate the 150th anniversary of our national flag and underline our role and responsibility as ambassadors of the title ‘made in Italy’, than with a product of such style and technical excellence,’ said Del Torchio.
‘Throughout our long and successful twin-cylinder history of racing, Ducati has never built a sportbike as advanced as the 1199 Panigale. We are moving into a new generation with a ‘revolution’ of the species that establishes new limits for the category. Its Desmodromic heart, the new Superquadro engine, is the most powerful twin-cylinder ever produced and represents the base of a new concept of frame and engine integration,’ said Ducati Motor Holding General Manager, Claudio Domenicali. ‘This concept enables the 1199 Panigale a dry weight of just 164kg and gives it a riding sensation that is closer than ever to a full race bike. With revised ergonomics, full ride-by-wire engine management and enhanced systems of ABS and traction control, we have controlled the beast within the 1199 Panigale so that the full emotion of this motorcycle can be enjoyed easily and safely,’ he added.
The 1199 Panigale’s 195-horsepower L-twin is an integral part of the bike’s monocoque chassis and at just 164 kilos dry, the bike is astonishingly light – the Panigale’s power-to-weight ratio is in a different league compared to any other production sportsbike in the world. Plus, the bike is equipped with cutting-edge electronics, including the latest-generation sports ABS system, Ducati Traction Control (DTC), Ducati Electronic Suspension (DES), Ducati Quick-Shift (DQS), Ducati’s new race-derived Engine Brake Control (EBC) and Ride-by-Wire (RbW), all of which are programmed to deliver seamless electronic rider assistance. Even the instrument panel is revolutionary – its full colour Thin Film Transistor (TFT) display changes to suit the rider’s environment.
The Ducati 1199 Panigale, 1199 Panigale S and flagship 1199 Panigale S Tricolore will be available in Ducati showrooms from early next year. The basic Panigale carries a price tag of US$18,000, the Panigale S costs $23,000 and Panigale Tricolore costs a mere $28,000. We'd happily settle for the S.
- ► 2016 (135)
- ► 2015 (89)
- ► 2014 (113)
- ► 2013 (157)
- ► 2012 (284)
- Husqvarna Concept Strada shown at 2011 Salon de la...
- Piaggio Museum to showcase Corradino D’Ascanio’s w...
- BMW S1000RR in MotoGP: It’s a long road
- Keanu Reeves: The Diavel’s Advocate
- 2012 Yamaha R1: Finding traction once again
- 2012 KTM 450 Rally: What it takes to do the Dakar
- 2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer is the ultimate fashion a...
- Ryno: On one wheel and a prayer
- Honda VFR1200F gets a mild update for 2012
- 2012 KTM 690 Duke: Official pics, specs, video
- Honda RC-E electric sportsbike concept to be unvei...
- 2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer: High-res pics, specs
- 2012 Triumph Speed Triple R: High-res pics, specs
- 2012 Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200, Shiver 750 shown at E...
- 2012 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC unveiled at the EIC...
- Piaggio Group at the 2011 EICMA: High-res picture ...
- 2012 BMW R1200GS Rallye, K1300S HP, K1300R reveale...
- BMW F800R updated for 2012
- 2012 BMW C600 Sport, BMW C650GT: First official pi...
- 2012 Honda Crosstourer: First official pics, specs...
- 2012 Honda NC700S, NC700X: Motorcycling dullness r...
- Husqvarna Concept MOAB pays tribute to Steve McQue...
- Ducati 1199 Panigale: First official pics, specs
- Valentino Rossi pays final tribute to Marco Simonc...
- Tanom Invader TC-3: Hayabusa-powered trike is comi...
- It's Better In The Wind
- 2012 MV Agusta Brutale 675 unveiled
- Dainese D-air Street coming in 2012, will watch yo...
- Husqvarna develop off-road ABS tech
- EBR1190RS doesn’t have traction control, doesn’t n...
- ▼ November (30)
- ► 2010 (196)
- ► 2009 (345)
- ► 2008 (479)
- ► 2007 (430)
2WD AC Schnitzer AJS Akrapovic all-wheel-drive Alpinestars AMG Aprilia Ariel Audi Avinton Bajaj Barry Sheene Benelli Bianchi Bimota BMW Bosch Brammo Brembo Britten BSA Buell Bultaco Cagiva Campagna Can-Am Carver Casey Stoner Caterham Chinese bikes Classics Concept Bike Confederate CRandS Custom-built Dainese Derbi Diesel Ducati Eddie Lawson EICMA 2008 EICMA 2009 EICMA 2012 EICMA 2013 EICMA 2014 EICMA 2015 EICMA 2016 Electric Ferrari Fischer flying machines Freddie Spencer Giacomo Agostini Gilera Harley-Davidson Helmets Henderson Hero Motocorp Hesketh Honda Horex Husqvarna Hybrid Hyosung Ilmor Indian Intermot 2012 Intermot 2014 Intermot 2016 Interviews Isle of Man TT Jawa Jay Leno Jeremy Burgess Kawasaki Kevin Schwantz KTM Lamborghini Lambretta Laverda Lazareth Lotus Mahindra Malaguti Markus Hofmann McLaren Mercedes-Benz Mick Doohan Midual Millepercento Mission Motors Mondial Morbidelli Morgan Moriwaki Moto Guzzi Moto Morini Moto2 Moto3 MotoCzysz MotoGP MotoGP-2007 MotoGP-2008 MotoGP-2009 MotoGP-2010 Motorcycle Design Motus MTT MV Agusta MZ News Nissan Norton NSU Peraves Petronas Peugeot Photography Piaggio Porsche Quad Renard Renault Riding Impressions Roehr Ronax Ronin Rotary Royal Enfield Scooters Segway Shootouts Short Films Skills Specials stunt riding Supercharged Suter Suzuki Toyota Travel trike Triumph Turbo TVS Two-stroke Ural V10 V12 V4 V6 V8 Valentino Rossi Velocette Vespa Victory Vincent Volkswagen Voxan Vyrus Wakan Wayne Gardner Wayne Rainey Wunderlich Yamaha Yoshimura Zagato