Wednesday, March 14, 2012
2012 KTM 990 Supermoto R gets 9M+‑ABS from Bosch
The 2012 KTM 990 Supermoto R, which the Austrian company claims is ‘the most radical twin-cylinder Supermoto on the market,’ now gets Bosch 9M+‑ABS. Er… yeah, that’s the big news on KTM’s big supermoto – an updated anti-lock braking system which makes the bike safer. With its 114bhp fuel-injected liquid-cooled 999cc V-twin, we suppose the Supermoto R is still as much fun to sling around corners as it ever was, but now when it’s time to throw out the anchors with full force, the new Bosch system is likely to keep you from ending up in a ditch.
As with all KTM bikes, the chassis and suspension on the 2012 Supermoto R are top-notch. The tubular space frame made of chrome-molybdenum steel, WP 4860 ROMA USD front fork (160mm travel), WP 4618 BAVP DCC monoshock (180mm travel) and twin floating 305mm brake discs up front with radial-mount four-piston calipers, the whole package is fully optimized to go fast not just in a straight line, but also around corners. With the back wheel always drifting sideways, if you wish. The bike weighs 192kg dry, which does seem to be a bit heavy, but at least the 15-litre fuel tank should provide some decent range, should you choose to go touring on the Supermoto R. But the (hypothetical) bike that would interest us most would be a new KTM 690 SMC R stuffed with an engine from the 990 Supermoto R. Now that should be fun… :-D
- ► 2016 (135)
- ► 2015 (89)
- ► 2014 (113)
- ► 2013 (157)
- KTM 690 Duke Track is the spiritual successor to t...
- Extreme Cornering and the Buell XB12R Firebolt
- The Deep Freeze: Yamaha R1 vs Porsche 911 GT3 RS
- 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer, other variants, unveiled...
- Ducati Desmosedici RR around the Mulholland Drive
- Stephane Peterhansel rides a Yamaha R1 in the Moro...
- AGV PistaGP: “Like switching from TV to the cinema...
- 2012 Streetfighter Shootout: Aprilia Tuono V4R vs ...
- 2012 Yamaha YZR-M1 unveiled: High-res pics, video
- Ducati 1199 Panigale: What lies beneath
- Ernie Vigil has a go on the 2012 Triumph Scrambler...
- Ducati Desmosedici GP12: First official high-res p...
- KTM 200 Duke: “Why? Because it is intense…”
- Battle of the V4s: Honda VFR750R RC30 vs Aprilia R...
- 2013 Bimota DB9 Brivido riding impression
- Ducati Monster Diesel: Could have been cool, but i...
- Wayne Rainey on rivalry with Kevin Schwantz, Eddie...
- Husqvarna Nuda 900R wins Red Dot design award
- Aprilia SRV850: High-res pics and more details
- 2013 Moto Guzzi California 1400 unveiled, Piaggio ...
- 2012 Suzuki GSX-R1000 tested at the Homestead-Miam...
- 2012 KTM 990 Supermoto R gets 9M+‑ABS from Bosch
- 2012 KTM 690 SMC R: ‘What isn't there doesn't weig...
- Stoner’s, Rossi’s Ducati racebikes up for sale
- Akrapovič: 20 years of power and noise
- 2012 MV Agusta F3 vs Triumph Daytona 675R
- 2012 Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200: High-res pics, tech s...
- Valentino Rossi: “Honestly, I expected to do bette...
- Carl Fogarty on the Ducati 916: “It was stunning. ...
- Motul Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade looks hot!
- ▼ March (30)
- ► 2011 (182)
- ► 2010 (196)
- ► 2009 (345)
- ► 2008 (479)
- ► 2007 (430)
2WD AC Schnitzer AJS Akrapovic all-wheel-drive Alpinestars AMG Aprilia Ariel Audi Avinton Bajaj Barry Sheene Benelli Bianchi Bimota BMW Bosch Brammo Brembo Britten BSA Buell Bultaco Cagiva Campagna Can-Am Carver Casey Stoner Caterham Chinese bikes Classics Concept Bike Confederate CRandS Custom-built Dainese Derbi Diesel Ducati Eddie Lawson EICMA 2008 EICMA 2009 EICMA 2012 EICMA 2013 EICMA 2014 EICMA 2015 EICMA 2016 Electric Ferrari Fischer flying machines Freddie Spencer Giacomo Agostini Gilera Harley-Davidson Helmets Henderson Hero Motocorp Hesketh Honda Horex Husqvarna Hybrid Hyosung Ilmor Indian Intermot 2012 Intermot 2014 Intermot 2016 Interviews Isle of Man TT Jawa Jay Leno Jeremy Burgess Kawasaki Kevin Schwantz KTM Lamborghini Lambretta Laverda Lazareth Lotus Mahindra Malaguti Markus Hofmann McLaren Mercedes-Benz Mick Doohan Midual Millepercento Mission Motors Mondial Morbidelli Morgan Moriwaki Moto Guzzi Moto Morini Moto2 Moto3 MotoCzysz MotoGP MotoGP-2007 MotoGP-2008 MotoGP-2009 MotoGP-2010 Motorcycle Design Motus MTT MV Agusta MZ News Nissan Norton NSU Peraves Petronas Peugeot Photography Piaggio Porsche Quad Renard Renault Riding Impressions Roehr Ronax Ronin Rotary Royal Enfield Scooters Segway Shootouts Short Films Skills Specials stunt riding Supercharged Suter Suzuki Toyota Travel trike Triumph Turbo TVS Two-stroke Ural V10 V12 V4 V6 V8 Valentino Rossi Velocette Vespa Victory Vincent Volkswagen Voxan Vyrus Wakan Wayne Gardner Wayne Rainey Wunderlich Yamaha Yoshimura Zagato