Friday, March 23, 2012
2012 Yamaha YZR-M1 unveiled: High-res pics, video
Yamaha have taken the wraps off their 2012 YZR-M1 MotoGP racebike. In accordance with the change in MotoGP regulations coming into effect from this year, the new M1 is powered by a 1,000cc (instead of last year’s 800cc) inline-four with crossplane crankshaft, with a power output of more than 240bhp.
The 2012 Yamaha YZR-M1 also gets an updated aluminium twin tube deltabox chassis with multi-adjustable steering geometry, adjustable aluminium swingarm, 6-speed cassette-type gearbox (with alternative gear ratios available), 16.5-inch forged magnesium wheels, Bridgeston tyres, fully adjustable Ohlins suspension and Brembo brakes – twin 320mm carbon discs at the front, with two 4-piston calipers and single rear disc with 2-piston caliper. As per FIM regulations, the bike weighs 157 kilos, dry.
‘I think that at the start of this year, the bikes will be closer in terms of absolute comparison performance compared to last year. Will it bring closer racing in general? I don’t know, we’ll have to see because the 1,000cc is different, the bikes are heavier, the power is stronger, the tyres are different,’ says Lin Jarvis, Managing Director, Yamaha Motor Racing Srl. ‘For me, there are two riders who have a ‘plus alpha’ at this moment and they are Casey Stoner and Jorge Lorenzo, so I have every confidence that Jorge, in terms of his capacity, is definitely able to win the MotoGP world championship again this year. I have no doubt. Let’s see how it works out with the bike and the competition. It’s a long season and many things can happen, but I expect Jorge to win many races this season,’ he adds.
‘The most significant new sponsor to join us is JX Nippon Oil & Energy Corporation. You will see them on the bike as ENEOS brand, which is their main petroleum and lubricant brand. They are a Japanese corporation, very strong in oil and energy, and they have a strong business connection with Yamaha, so we welcome ENEOS joining us. Also, we have an Italian company, PIZZOLI, one of the major companies here in Italy in the food sector,’ says Jarvis, about Yamaha’s new sponsors in MotoGP.
- ► 2016 (135)
- ► 2015 (89)
- ► 2014 (113)
- ► 2013 (157)
- KTM 690 Duke Track is the spiritual successor to t...
- Extreme Cornering and the Buell XB12R Firebolt
- The Deep Freeze: Yamaha R1 vs Porsche 911 GT3 RS
- 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer, other variants, unveiled...
- Ducati Desmosedici RR around the Mulholland Drive
- Stephane Peterhansel rides a Yamaha R1 in the Moro...
- AGV PistaGP: “Like switching from TV to the cinema...
- 2012 Streetfighter Shootout: Aprilia Tuono V4R vs ...
- 2012 Yamaha YZR-M1 unveiled: High-res pics, video
- Ducati 1199 Panigale: What lies beneath
- Ernie Vigil has a go on the 2012 Triumph Scrambler...
- Ducati Desmosedici GP12: First official high-res p...
- KTM 200 Duke: “Why? Because it is intense…”
- Battle of the V4s: Honda VFR750R RC30 vs Aprilia R...
- 2013 Bimota DB9 Brivido riding impression
- Ducati Monster Diesel: Could have been cool, but i...
- Wayne Rainey on rivalry with Kevin Schwantz, Eddie...
- Husqvarna Nuda 900R wins Red Dot design award
- Aprilia SRV850: High-res pics and more details
- 2013 Moto Guzzi California 1400 unveiled, Piaggio ...
- 2012 Suzuki GSX-R1000 tested at the Homestead-Miam...
- 2012 KTM 990 Supermoto R gets 9M+‑ABS from Bosch
- 2012 KTM 690 SMC R: ‘What isn't there doesn't weig...
- Stoner’s, Rossi’s Ducati racebikes up for sale
- Akrapovič: 20 years of power and noise
- 2012 MV Agusta F3 vs Triumph Daytona 675R
- 2012 Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200: High-res pics, tech s...
- Valentino Rossi: “Honestly, I expected to do bette...
- Carl Fogarty on the Ducati 916: “It was stunning. ...
- Motul Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade looks hot!
- ▼ March (30)
- ► 2011 (182)
- ► 2010 (196)
- ► 2009 (345)
- ► 2008 (479)
- ► 2007 (430)
2WD AC Schnitzer AJS Akrapovic all-wheel-drive Alpinestars AMG Aprilia Ariel Audi Avinton Bajaj Barry Sheene Benelli Bianchi Bimota BMW Bosch Brammo Brembo Britten BSA Buell Bultaco Cagiva Campagna Can-Am Carver Casey Stoner Caterham Chinese bikes Classics Concept Bike Confederate CRandS Custom-built Dainese Derbi Diesel Ducati Eddie Lawson EICMA 2008 EICMA 2009 EICMA 2012 EICMA 2013 EICMA 2014 EICMA 2015 EICMA 2016 Electric Ferrari Fischer flying machines Freddie Spencer Giacomo Agostini Gilera Harley-Davidson Helmets Henderson Hero Motocorp Hesketh Honda Horex Husqvarna Hybrid Hyosung Ilmor Indian Intermot 2012 Intermot 2014 Intermot 2016 Interviews Isle of Man TT Jawa Jay Leno Jeremy Burgess Kawasaki Kevin Schwantz KTM Lamborghini Lambretta Laverda Lazareth Lotus Mahindra Malaguti Markus Hofmann McLaren Mercedes-Benz Mick Doohan Midual Millepercento Mission Motors Mondial Morbidelli Morgan Moriwaki Moto Guzzi Moto Morini Moto2 Moto3 MotoCzysz MotoGP MotoGP-2007 MotoGP-2008 MotoGP-2009 MotoGP-2010 Motorcycle Design Motus MTT MV Agusta MZ News Nissan Norton NSU Peraves Petronas Peugeot Photography Piaggio Porsche Quad Renard Renault Riding Impressions Roehr Ronax Ronin Rotary Royal Enfield Scooters Segway Shootouts Short Films Skills Specials stunt riding Supercharged Suter Suzuki Toyota Travel trike Triumph Turbo TVS Two-stroke Ural V10 V12 V4 V6 V8 Valentino Rossi Velocette Vespa Victory Vincent Volkswagen Voxan Vyrus Wakan Wayne Gardner Wayne Rainey Wunderlich Yamaha Yoshimura Zagato