Thursday, March 01, 2012
Valentino Rossi: “Honestly, I expected to do better than tenth!”
With the 2012 MotoGP season scheduled to kick off in Qatar in five weeks from now, teams are now putting final touches to their racebikes. Valentino Rossi and his crew are, of course, working on the Ducati GP12, hoping to improve on last year’s results if nothing else.
‘One small positive note to the day is that we reduced the gap to the front a little bit. It was 1.2 seconds and now it’s 1 second. It’s also nice that the new electronics work well, but it hurts being down on the timesheets compared to all the others. We tried a bunch of things in order to take a step forward from the first test, but unfortunately, we weren’t able to do it and were actually worse,’ said Rossi, after the last test at Sepang. ‘It was harder for me to ride well compared to three weeks ago – especially my corner speed. It’s true that this test was more difficult in terms of weather and track conditions, but it seemed to affect us more than the others. Honestly, I expected to do better than tenth,’ he added.
‘Our pace is still about seven-tenths back. Honestly, that’s not a huge amount, but anyway we’re still behind. We’re not pleased with how it went this time, but we have to try and work hard and see what happens at Jerez, where the track is very different than this one, with much different weather and temperatures. We’ll see how we do there,’ says The Doctor.
Honestly, we don’t know what to make of this situation. Valentino Rossi definitely remains our no.1 favourite rider, but it’s hard to say if he – even with his huge talent and riding skill – will be able to fight for victories this year. Can it really be that the motivation isn’t there anymore? Rossi & Co. have now been at it for more than a year, and if 10th place is the best he and Ducati can do, something has to be wrong somewhere. With this Doctor, it can’t be a case of bad medicine. But then what is it, what’s wrong?
- ► 2016 (135)
- ► 2015 (89)
- ► 2014 (113)
- ► 2013 (157)
- KTM 690 Duke Track is the spiritual successor to t...
- Extreme Cornering and the Buell XB12R Firebolt
- The Deep Freeze: Yamaha R1 vs Porsche 911 GT3 RS
- 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer, other variants, unveiled...
- Ducati Desmosedici RR around the Mulholland Drive
- Stephane Peterhansel rides a Yamaha R1 in the Moro...
- AGV PistaGP: “Like switching from TV to the cinema...
- 2012 Streetfighter Shootout: Aprilia Tuono V4R vs ...
- 2012 Yamaha YZR-M1 unveiled: High-res pics, video
- Ducati 1199 Panigale: What lies beneath
- Ernie Vigil has a go on the 2012 Triumph Scrambler...
- Ducati Desmosedici GP12: First official high-res p...
- KTM 200 Duke: “Why? Because it is intense…”
- Battle of the V4s: Honda VFR750R RC30 vs Aprilia R...
- 2013 Bimota DB9 Brivido riding impression
- Ducati Monster Diesel: Could have been cool, but i...
- Wayne Rainey on rivalry with Kevin Schwantz, Eddie...
- Husqvarna Nuda 900R wins Red Dot design award
- Aprilia SRV850: High-res pics and more details
- 2013 Moto Guzzi California 1400 unveiled, Piaggio ...
- 2012 Suzuki GSX-R1000 tested at the Homestead-Miam...
- 2012 KTM 990 Supermoto R gets 9M+‑ABS from Bosch
- 2012 KTM 690 SMC R: ‘What isn't there doesn't weig...
- Stoner’s, Rossi’s Ducati racebikes up for sale
- Akrapovič: 20 years of power and noise
- 2012 MV Agusta F3 vs Triumph Daytona 675R
- 2012 Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200: High-res pics, tech s...
- Valentino Rossi: “Honestly, I expected to do bette...
- Carl Fogarty on the Ducati 916: “It was stunning. ...
- Motul Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade looks hot!
- ▼ March (30)
- ► 2011 (182)
- ► 2010 (196)
- ► 2009 (345)
- ► 2008 (479)
- ► 2007 (430)
2WD AC Schnitzer AJS Akrapovic all-wheel-drive Alpinestars AMG Aprilia Ariel Audi Avinton Bajaj Barry Sheene Benelli Bianchi Bimota BMW Bosch Brammo Brembo Britten BSA Buell Bultaco Cagiva Campagna Can-Am Carver Casey Stoner Caterham Chinese bikes Classics Concept Bike Confederate CRandS Custom-built Dainese Derbi Diesel Ducati Eddie Lawson EICMA 2008 EICMA 2009 EICMA 2012 EICMA 2013 EICMA 2014 EICMA 2015 EICMA 2016 Electric Ferrari Fischer flying machines Freddie Spencer Giacomo Agostini Gilera Harley-Davidson Helmets Henderson Hero Motocorp Hesketh Honda Horex Husqvarna Hybrid Hyosung Ilmor Indian Intermot 2012 Intermot 2014 Intermot 2016 Interviews Isle of Man TT Jawa Jay Leno Jeremy Burgess Kawasaki Kevin Schwantz KTM Lamborghini Lambretta Laverda Lazareth Lotus Mahindra Malaguti Markus Hofmann McLaren Mercedes-Benz Mick Doohan Midual Millepercento Mission Motors Mondial Morbidelli Morgan Moriwaki Moto Guzzi Moto Morini Moto2 Moto3 MotoCzysz MotoGP MotoGP-2007 MotoGP-2008 MotoGP-2009 MotoGP-2010 Motorcycle Design Motus MTT MV Agusta MZ News Nissan Norton NSU Peraves Petronas Peugeot Photography Piaggio Porsche Quad Renard Renault Riding Impressions Roehr Ronax Ronin Rotary Royal Enfield Scooters Segway Shootouts Short Films Skills Specials stunt riding Supercharged Suter Suzuki Toyota Travel trike Triumph Turbo TVS Two-stroke Ural V10 V12 V4 V6 V8 Valentino Rossi Velocette Vespa Victory Vincent Volkswagen Voxan Vyrus Wakan Wayne Gardner Wayne Rainey Wunderlich Yamaha Yoshimura Zagato