Thursday, April 19, 2012
Ducati sold to Audi
International Motorcycles S.p.A, a subsidiary of the Investindustrial Group (which had acquired Ducati in 2006), has announced the sale of Ducati Motor Holding S.p.A to Audi AG. Part of the Volkswagen empire, Audi also owns Italian supercar manufacturer, Lamborghini.
Ducati’s motorcycle sales worldwide in 2011 stood at 42,200 units, which represents an 11% global market share and which generated revenues of 480 million euros. Ducati is currently working on expanding its operations beyond Europe, the US and Japan and into emerging markets in Asia, China and South America.
‘Ducati has thrived with us as a result of the intensive industrial turnaround and the commercial push into new, fast-growing markets. We are convinced that the company will continue to provide a bright and rewarding future to its customers and employees in the very capable hands of Audi,’ says Andrea C. Bonomi, Chairman, Investindustrial. ‘We believe that Audi is the best partner to continue the globalisation process that has already been successfully initiated. The management team, led by Gabriele Del Torchio, and the Ducati's skilled and passionate workforce have been a key element in turning the company into a global brand with some of the most exciting motorcycle models currently on the market. I am convinced Audi will be a responsible new owner, preserving the Italian workforce’s technology skills for a bright future for the Company,’ he adds.
‘Ducati is known worldwide as a premium brand among motorcycle manufacturers and has a long tradition of building sporty motorcycles. It has great expertise in high-performance engines and lightweight construction, and is one of the world’s most profitable motorcycle manufacturers. That makes Ducati an excellent fit for Audi,’ says Rupert Stadler, Chairman of the Board of Management of Audi AG.
In the meanwhile, Mercedes-AMG have announced that their tie-up with Ducati has been terminated.
- ► 2016 (135)
- ► 2015 (89)
- ► 2014 (113)
- ► 2013 (157)
- Shootout: Audi TT RS Plus vs Ducati 1199 Panigale ...
- Shootout: Triumph Daytona 675R vs Ducati 848 EVO C...
- Fastest: In conversation with Mark Neale
- 2013 Honda CRF250L: More information, pics of Hond...
- Drake's Passage: The Complete Series
- Motörhead. Fueled by Victory Motorcycles
- Wild Rides: The eight ATVs that you should ride
- Ducati sold to Audi
- Honda U3-X to make its European debut at the Museu...
- Loris Capirossi is now BMW M’s MotoGP expert
- When Cagiva went GP racing
- zecOO: Electric low-rider from Japan
- 2012 Yoshimura Limited Edition GSX-R1000, the stuf...
- Brembo: MotoGP vs F1, and the future of braking
- 2012 Superbike Shootout: Honda CBR1000RR vs Kawasa...
- PAL-V One: Flying trike completes its maiden fligh...
- Petronas FP1 riding impression
- Kreater Custom Motorcycles turn up the heat
- Puma x Ducati: Lean In and Ride With Us
- Jeremy Burgess: ‘It’s a folly to return to 1000cc ...
- Troy Bayliss: “The Panigale has taken a huge leap ...
- Elevate 2: Still Climbing
- Nicky Hayden: "In MotoGP, you can't just be averag...
- Sneak Preview: 2013 Moto Morini Rebello 1200 Giubi...
- Top Gun: Kawasaki GPZ900R
- TZR250-engined Yamaha YZR replica is rocking
- The Wall of Death
- ▼ April (27)
- ► 2011 (182)
- ► 2010 (196)
- ► 2009 (345)
- ► 2008 (479)
- ► 2007 (430)
2WD AC Schnitzer AJS Akrapovic all-wheel-drive Alpinestars AMG Aprilia Ariel Audi Avinton Bajaj Barry Sheene Benelli Bianchi Bimota BMW Bosch Brammo Brembo Britten BSA Buell Bultaco Cagiva Campagna Can-Am Carver Casey Stoner Caterham Chinese bikes Classics Concept Bike Confederate CRandS Custom-built Dainese Derbi Diesel Ducati Eddie Lawson EICMA 2008 EICMA 2009 EICMA 2012 EICMA 2013 EICMA 2014 EICMA 2015 EICMA 2016 Electric Ferrari Fischer flying machines Freddie Spencer Giacomo Agostini Gilera Harley-Davidson Helmets Henderson Hero Motocorp Hesketh Honda Horex Husqvarna Hybrid Hyosung Ilmor Indian Intermot 2012 Intermot 2014 Intermot 2016 Interviews Isle of Man TT Jawa Jay Leno Jeremy Burgess Kawasaki Kevin Schwantz KTM Lamborghini Lambretta Laverda Lazareth Lotus Mahindra Malaguti Markus Hofmann McLaren Mercedes-Benz Mick Doohan Midual Millepercento Mission Motors Mondial Morbidelli Morgan Moriwaki Moto Guzzi Moto Morini Moto2 Moto3 MotoCzysz MotoGP MotoGP-2007 MotoGP-2008 MotoGP-2009 MotoGP-2010 Motorcycle Design Motus MTT MV Agusta MZ News Nissan Norton NSU Peraves Petronas Peugeot Photography Piaggio Porsche Quad Renard Renault Riding Impressions Roehr Ronax Ronin Rotary Royal Enfield Scooters Segway Shootouts Short Films Skills Specials stunt riding Supercharged Suter Suzuki Toyota Travel trike Triumph Turbo TVS Two-stroke Ural V10 V12 V4 V6 V8 Valentino Rossi Velocette Vespa Victory Vincent Volkswagen Voxan Vyrus Wakan Wayne Gardner Wayne Rainey Wunderlich Yamaha Yoshimura Zagato