Friday, September 07, 2012
Manuela Raffaeta visits the BMW Museum, meets the 1976 BMW R 90 S
Marco Melandri is a lucky man. He’s rides fast bikes for a living and his fiancée is the eminently hot Manuela Raffaeta, who recently visited the BMW Museum in Munich, right after the inaugural BMW Motorrad Days party. This was for a special photoshoot, which was done by Markus Hofmann, whose work we’ve featured earlier on this site.
For the photoshoot, Manuela posed with the BMW R 90 S, which American rider Steve McLaughlin rode to victory in the first-ever AMA Superbike race at Daytona, in the US, in 1976. Another BMW rider, Reg Pridmore finished second in that race and even won the inaugural AMA Superbike world championship that year.
McLaughlin’s race-winning BMW R 90 S, which recently took to the racetrack again at the Goodwood Festival of Speed, where it was ridden by former BMW Motorrad factory rider, Troy Corser, has now taken up permanent residence at the BMW Museum in Munich. And as these pictures show, the bike looks as hot now as it did back in the 1970s. Manuela, too, apparently enjoyed her photoshoot with this iconic motorcycle. Here are some excerpts from what she had to say about bikes and her life with Mr Melandri:
On being a part of the BMW Motorrad Motorsport setup
BMW is for us a big family and we’re really enjoying life as part of the World Superbike team. Marco’s first world superbike victory on the BMW S1000RR [at Donington] was a big dream for him and of course myself. So, to achieve this and make history for the brand was incredible. We’re both still smiling about it.
On helping Marco with staying focused
I like to do everything for Marco so that all he needs to focus on is the racing. I always make sure he has enough water and make sure his helmet is ready.
On whether she rides bikes herself
I cannot ride a motorcycle. I went on the back of Marco once and he scared me, so I have no intention of riding myself!
On what she enjoys outside of being a part of motorcycle racing
We always seem to be going from airport to racetrack to airport, so for us, going home is like a holiday, as we can just relax away from this crazy world we’re part of and enjoy our privacy…
- ► 2016 (135)
- ► 2015 (89)
- ► 2014 (113)
- ► 2013 (157)
- Honda confirms all-new V4-engined super sports mot...
- 2013 KTM 1190 Adventure R: First official pic, spe...
- 2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Granturismo, Pikes ...
- Long Live the Kings
- BMW C 600 Sport, C 650 GT visit Barcelona
- Millyard Viper V10 hits the road
- 2013 Yamaha YZF-R1, R6, R125 to get ‘Race-Blu’ liv...
- 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R: Official pics, video, s...
- White-hot Honda Fireblade is deeply lustworthy...
- Triumph Speed Triple takes on Chevy Corvette Z06
- German Top Gun rides… what else, a BMW S1000RR
- Time Travel: Suzuki GSX-R1100 vs GSX-R1000
- Janna rides into a tyre shop...
- Manuela Raffaeta visits the BMW Museum, meets the ...
- Eric Bostrom’s Gary Nixon tribute Kawasaki Z1000 c...
- Video and high-res pics: BMW HP4 in action at Jere...
- On Two Wheels: On the road in a Ural sidecar
- 2013 Honda CBR250R gets MotoGP-replica paintjob
- 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 livens up the entry-level ...
- BMW R120 G/S kit sexes up the R1200GS
- C59R.1 brings café racer cool to the BMW R100RS
- Suzuki launch Barry Sheene clothing line
- 2013 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC announced
- ▼ September (23)
- ► 2011 (182)
- ► 2010 (196)
- ► 2009 (345)
- ► 2008 (479)
- ► 2007 (430)
2WD AC Schnitzer AJS Akrapovic all-wheel-drive Alpinestars AMG Aprilia Ariel Audi Avinton Bajaj Barry Sheene Benelli Bianchi Bimota BMW Bosch Brammo Brembo Britten BSA Buell Bultaco Cagiva Campagna Can-Am Carver Casey Stoner Caterham Chinese bikes Classics Concept Bike Confederate CRandS Custom-built Dainese Derbi Diesel Ducati Eddie Lawson EICMA 2008 EICMA 2009 EICMA 2012 EICMA 2013 EICMA 2014 EICMA 2015 EICMA 2016 Electric Ferrari Fischer flying machines Freddie Spencer Giacomo Agostini Gilera Harley-Davidson Helmets Henderson Hero Motocorp Hesketh Honda Horex Husqvarna Hybrid Hyosung Ilmor Indian Intermot 2012 Intermot 2014 Intermot 2016 Interviews Isle of Man TT Jawa Jay Leno Jeremy Burgess Kawasaki Kevin Schwantz KTM Lamborghini Lambretta Laverda Lazareth Lotus Mahindra Malaguti Markus Hofmann McLaren Mercedes-Benz Mick Doohan Midual Millepercento Mission Motors Mondial Morbidelli Morgan Moriwaki Moto Guzzi Moto Morini Moto2 Moto3 MotoCzysz MotoGP MotoGP-2007 MotoGP-2008 MotoGP-2009 MotoGP-2010 Motorcycle Design Motus MTT MV Agusta MZ News Nissan Norton NSU Peraves Petronas Peugeot Photography Piaggio Porsche Quad Renard Renault Riding Impressions Roehr Ronax Ronin Rotary Royal Enfield Scooters Segway Shootouts Short Films Skills Specials stunt riding Supercharged Suter Suzuki Toyota Travel trike Triumph Turbo TVS Two-stroke Ural V10 V12 V4 V6 V8 Valentino Rossi Velocette Vespa Victory Vincent Volkswagen Voxan Vyrus Wakan Wayne Gardner Wayne Rainey Wunderlich Yamaha Yoshimura Zagato